Dunskey Glen waterfall impresses Ramblers
Last Saturday, 18 members of the Wigtownshire Ramblers set off up the cliff steps from the harbour to start a five or six mile walk round Portpatrick.
A longer walk was cancelled due to heavy overnight rain and more fell during this outing.
As we walked northwards on the cliff path, part of the Southern Uplands Way, we saw several golfers also braving the weather and met a few dogs and their owners.
The walk leader urged caution on slippery stones as we descended into Port Mora, more commonly called Sandeel Bay. No one else was present but in past times it has been a popular swimming and sunbathing venue and water from the burn that cascades in a curtain over the mouth of one the caves there was said to have curative properties.
A narrow cliff path at the north end of the bay leads to Port Kale or Lairds’ Bay with its pebbly raised beach which contrasts with the sand of its neighbour.
A quaint unusually shaped building there was built in 1852 to house apparatus to test telegraph cables which ran from there under the sea to Ireland.
Our route then followed the Glen by the low route beside Dunskey Burn.
As the quality of light under the trees changed, it felt like going back in time.
Lush ferns of many varieties, horsetail and mosses covering damp surfaces created an almost prehistoric feel.
A wooden bridge took us through the ‘Fairy Glen’ section but no little people were spotted. Seed heads on drying bluebells indicated how lovely it must be earlier in the year.
As we reached the top of an incline and approached what sounded like a large engine running, we came on an old stone bridge and source of the noise.
Continued on page 23