Win puts Wigtown top of the table

Just the keeper to beat but the ball was just out of reach for Wigtown defender Mark Whorlow. SGGY 020913 10
Just the keeper to beat but the ball was just out of reach for Wigtown defender Mark Whorlow. SGGY 020913 10

Wigtown and Bladnoch returned to the top of the South of Scotland League on Saturday following their slender 2-1 victory over Nithsdale Wanderers at Trammondford Park.

Having been beaten the previous week by the Sanquhar side, Wigtown took the three points in a tight match which saw Richard Jones for the home side and Roman Soltys for the visitors sending the teams in at the break all square.

Twenty minutes from time Blair Dougan scored the goal that proved to be the eventual winner to send his side back to lead the pack.

There was another close match between Lochar Thistle and Heston Rovers, with the home side making chances but failing to take them and the visitors taking the three points when a Craig Adamson 25-yard shot was enough to break the deadlock in this Dumfries derby.

Creetown were beaten 6-1 at Castle Cary Park by Crichton, while Abbey Vale, for the second week in succession, were beaten by Newton Stewart. Although the scoreline this time around was a lot narrower than the previous week, the display from the Creesiders was just as convincing and they ran out 3-1 winners.

A goal after only two minutes from Robert Middleton was enough to give the visitors a slender half-time lead but a double from Liam Muir in the second half ensured the three points, although Vale scored a consolation goal three minutes from time when Chris Mellon netted from the penalty spot.

In a Potts Cup first round match at Galabank, St Cuthbert Wanderers managed to beat Mid-Annandale by a solitary goal when striker Craig Rudd scored the winner in the 76th minute with a header.

In the Scottish Lowland League both Dalbeattie Star and Threave Rovers suffered defeats and both by single goals from their respective opponents.

James Earl gave Gretna 2008 the lead against Threave after 10 minutes with a header, and that was enough to seal victory for the Raydale Park side.

Edinburgh City also beat Dalbeattie Star by a single goal which was scored by Darren Devlin after only six minutes, although the City team missed two penalty kicks with the Star keeper saving both efforts.

Results from Saturday, August 31

South of Scotland League

Abbey Vale 1 Newton Stewart 3

Creetown 1 Crichton 6

Lochar Thistle 0 Heston Rovers 1

Wigtown and Bladnoch 2 Nithsdale Wanderers 1

Potts Cup, first round

Mid-Annandale 0 St Cuthbert Wanderers 1