Wigtown stretch lead at the top

Calum Dunn pushes the ball wide of keeper Ross Wilson and goes the long way round to collect and home in on an unguarded goal. SGGY 090913 5
Calum Dunn pushes the ball wide of keeper Ross Wilson and goes the long way round to collect and home in on an unguarded goal. SGGY 090913 5

Wigtown and Bladnoch extended their lead at the top of the table last Saturday by defeating Fleet Star 3-0 at Garries Park.

Richard Jones opened the scoring for the leaders after 12 minutes and Jamie McHarrie added a second on the half-hour to give the visitors a 2-0 cushion at the break. The home side fought back in the second half but could not penetrate the Wigtown defence and the Trammondford Park team secured the three points on the final whistle with an eight-yard effort from Blair Dougan.

Abbey Vale leap-frogged Creetown at Castle Cary Park in a 4-2 victory which leaves the home side at the bottom of the table. David Hughes scored the first goal in the 16th minute for Creetown but six minutes later John Grierson equalised for the New Abbey outfit and eight minutes from the break Vale went ahead through Stuart Cameron.

Ten minutes after the restart Vale’s 18-year-old substitute Nikolas Lismanis scored his first goal for the club with a left-foot curler from 18 yards. But 15 minutes later Steven Campbell gave the home side some hope with Creetown’s second. However, in the 77th minute Lismanis secured the points for Vale. A Steven Cooper effort was only parried by the home keeper, leaving the youngster with a tap-in.

There were three Cree Lodge Cup matches played with no fewer that 24 goals.

Top scorers were Heston Rovers who recorded a 9-0 victory over Nithsdale Wanderers at Palmerston Park. Heston manager Raymond Boyd described the match as “having an explosive start” from his forwards Russell Jardine and Darren Brown. The two players set Heston on their way to a rout with three goals within the first six minutes.

Brown started the scoring in the second minute with a tap-in from 12 yards and two minutes later Jardine doubled the scoreline before adding his side’s third in the sixth minute with a 25-yard volley.

When Jamie Philips scored the home side’s fourth from a 25-yard freekick in the 19th minute, it looked to be all over in this competition for the Sanquhar side with Boyd claiming this was one of the best performances that he had seen for some time.

Jardine completed his hat-trick five minutes later when he lobbed the Nithsdale keeper and Gary Tweedie added number six with a header in the 35th minute. A Craig Adamson penalty two minutes from the break put Heston in seventh heaven.

Twenty minutes into the second half Jonathan Boyd scored the home side’s eighth goal from 18 yards and Ben Irving completed the rout with three minutes left although by this time the visitors had been reduced to nine men with two players being red carded.

As expected the match between St Cuthbert Wanderers and Lochar Thistle, where Saints gave up home advantage, was close although with 10 minutes left the Kirkcudbright side found themselves trailing 3-0.

Although there were close things at both ends in the first half the teams went in at the break goalless. Ten minutes after the restart Lochar found the net through Iain Anderson, with Mick McGaughie adding a double to give the Dumfries side a lead that looked like taking them through.

Saints – and Craig Rudd in particular – had different ideas, with the striker finding the bottom corner of the net to give his side a late lifeline. Five minutes later Lochar defender Scott Neill was adjudged to have handled in the box and Rudd fired home from the spot. With the end of the match looming Saints were awarded a free kick which found the head of Adam Johnstone to fire across the Lochar goal with Rudd on hand to score and secure extra time.

There were no further goals in the first half of extra time but a fourth goal from Rudd gave Saints the advantage for the first time in the tie. Neill then fouled Grant Middlemass in the penalty box and was red-carded before Rudd stepped up to score from the spot.

Almost on the final whistle Rudd scored number six to give the Kirkcudbright side victory with a superb fightback and make it six victories in succession.

Newton Stewart played Mid-Annandale at Trammondford Park by courtesy of Wigtown and Bladnoch FC and ran out easy 6-0 winners. Calum Dunn opened the scoring in the 17th minute with Johnny Fisher adding number two 15 minutes later and a third following a good solo run. Four minutes from the interval Jason Gallacher scored with a header.

With 14 minutes left Ryan McKie found the net and right on the final whistle scored his second with a superb header.

Results from Saturday, September 7.

South of Scotland League

Creetown 2 Abbey Vale 4

Fleet Star 0 Wigtown and Bladnoch 3

Cree Lodge Cup – first round

Heston Rovers 9 Nithsdale Wanderers 0

Newton Stewart 6 Mid-Annandale 0

St Cuthbert Wanderers 6 Lochar Thistle 3 (after extra time)