Weather takes its toll on fixtures

Threave's Dean Fyfe finds out what it's like to be the meat in a Fleet Star sandwich as Cairnie and Durham squeeze the winger off the ball. SGGY 251113 4
Threave's Dean Fyfe finds out what it's like to be the meat in a Fleet Star sandwich as Cairnie and Durham squeeze the winger off the ball. SGGY 251113 4

There were three South of Scotland League matches scheduled last weekend, along with four South Regional Challenge Cup second round ties, but two of the matches failed to go ahead because of frozen pitches.

Heston Rovers played hosts to Crichton at Palmerston Park in a match that was expected to be close and that’s exactly what happened, with the visitors coming out on top in a seven-goal contest.

A Darren Johnstone header from a free kick put Crichton ahead in the 15th minute and four minutes later Jonathan Boyd levelled the match with a volley from 10 yards.

A Darren Brown cross picked out Ryan Adamson two minutes before the break and he powered a header into the net to give Heston the lead.

Brodie Turner equalised for the visitors in the 56th minute following a great solo run but four minutes later Heston’s Russell Jardine converted from the penalty spot after Stuart Douglas had been brought down in the box.

With 20 minutes left to play, Scott Alexander scored from an acute angle to square the match again and four minutes later the visitors went ahead when David Ruddick scored with a penalty to give Crichton the three points.

Heston Rovers manager Raymond Boyd said: “We played very well in the first half and went in leading 2-1 at the break. Crichton battled back though in the second half.

“We had chances but failed to convert them but I feel the Crichton team had more hunger in the late stages of the match and that’s why they picked up the three points.”

Newton Stewart beat neighbours Creetown 3-0 at Blairmount Park in a match they dominated except for a good flurry by the visiting side half way through the second half when they were unlucky not to fund the net on several occasions.

Three matches survived the weather in the second round of the South Regional Challenge Cup, with St Cuthbert Wanderers taking East Kilbride to extra time with goals from Grant Middlemiss and Craig Rudd.

Unfortunately, the home side scored twice in the extra time period to go through.

Goals from David Frew and Sean Milligan in the first four minutes of the match at Garries Park between Fleet Star and Threave Rovers was enough to see the Castle Douglas side progress.

Last year’s beaten finalists, Dalbeattie Star, went through following their 3-0 victory over Gretna 2008 at Raydale Park. Scott Milligan scored from 20 yards to give the visitors a slender half-time lead and struck a second in the 67th minute with Sam Warren scoring the goal of the match with 10 minutes left to play. The home side were reduced to 10men when Ross Johnston saw red with only three minutes left to play.

Results from Saturday, November 23

South of Scotland League

Heston Rovers 3 Crichton 4

Lochar Thistle v Abbey Vale (match postponed)

Newton Stewart 3 Creetown 0

South Regional Challenge Cup second round

East Kilbride 4 St Cuthbert Wanderers 2 (after extra time)

Fleet Star 0 Threave Rovers 2

Gretna 2008 0 Dalbeattie Star 3

Nithsdale Wanderers v Wigtown and Bladnoch (match postponed)