Wanderers take first game with 3-1 win

Share this article

In a tight match at Glencaple, Abbey Vale lost their first match of the season when they went down by three goals to one to St Cuthbert Wanderers.

Grant Middlemass put Saints ahead after nine minutes of play with Shane Watson producing an equaliser two minutes before the break. Play was very even in the second half until Saints’ new striker Roman Soltys put the visitors ahead and with five minutes left to play, Paul Gray wrapped up the three points for the Kirkcudbright side.

Crichton beat Creetown by five goals to two with Stewart McPherson putting the home side ahead after 34 minutes and Darren Johnstone adding a second from the penalty spot before Stevie Beggs pulled a goal back for the visitors. Johnstone then scored another before Bobby Landers put the ball past his own keeper for an own goal which gave Crichton a four goals to one lead at the interval. Johnstone completed his hat-trick after the re-start with ex Ayrshire Junior player Derek McCulloch heading home a second for Creetown.

Newcomers Dumfries YMCA had no luck in their first match in the South League when they were beaten by five goals to one by neighbours Heston Rovers. Burgess scored two goals in each half with Tom Smith adding number five as Heston went nap.

Edusport Academy have been given permission to play their first two home matches at Galabank and the first of them was on Saturday when they fought out a no score draw with Mid-Annandale. Although there were no goals this was a very competitive contest without a card being shown.

Mids opened well although the visitors probably created the better first half chances with the woodwork coming to Mids’ rescue twice and keeper Peter Crolla pulling out some good stops. However Mids could have broken the deadlock seconds before the break but Andy White’s shot found the upright from only 12 yards out. In the second half the Lockerbie side had their best chance to take the three points just before the final whistle when Nathan Muir’s shot in a one-on-one situation was saved by the visiting keeper Jamie McAllister.

Newton Stewart, under new manager George Grierson, in his first competitive match in South football took the three points at Lorimer Park by beating Nithsdale Wanderers by two goals to nil. The visitors took the lead through Jason Gallachar in the first half to give Newton a slender lead at the interval. Newcomer Liam Duffy Duffy found as second to seal victory although Man of the Match Liam Muir missed a penalty.

Upper Annandale went nap in their fisrt match in South football when they defeated Fleet Star by five goals to one. Ally Mason however gave the visitors the lead after only five minutes’ play with a Neil Ruddick header levelling the match 20 minutes later to send the teams in at the break all square. The home side started the second half on the front foot and after only three minutes took the lead through Micky Swan. Five minutes later they went further ahead with Mark Leighfield finding the net. Ruddick scored his second and his sides fourth before Leighfield scored again for goal number five.

However, the surprise result of the day was at Trammondford Park where last season’s champions Wigtown and Bladnoch were beat by four goals to one by Lochar Thistle. Kieron Kreuse and Craig Muir found the net in the first 45 minutes for the visitors to give them a comfortable half time lead. Ten minutes after the re-start Wigtown’s Curtiss Wilson gave the home side hope but Kenny Jardine and a second for Muir saw the Dumfries side taking the three points.

Results from Saturday 26th July 2014

South of Scotland League

Abbey Vale 1 St Cuthbert Wanderers 3

Crichton 5 Creetown 2

Dumfries YMCA 1 Heston Rovers 5

Edusport Academy 0 Mid-Annandale 0

Nithsdale Wanderers 0 Newton Stewart 2

Upper Annandale 5 Fleet Star 1

Wigtown and Bladnoch 1 Lochar Thistle 4