Victory maintains Wigtown’s challenge

Presure from Saints as keeper Harry Fidler turns the ball over for a corner.'SGGY 020513 2
Presure from Saints as keeper Harry Fidler turns the ball over for a corner.'SGGY 020513 2
Share this article

In the South of Scotland League on Wednesday night, Wigtown and Bladnoch kept up their challenge at the top with a 4-0 victory over Fleet Star at Garries Park.

Ross Drysdale opened the scoring from 20 yards after 19 minutes with a deflected Michael Donnely effort. The visitors went two ahead to give them a solid lead that they held into the break.

Jamie McHarrie added another two after the restart to give the Trammondford side a comfortable victory.

Heston Rovers beat Creetown 3-0.

Dalbeattie Star are through to yet another cup semi-final after beating Stewartry rivals Threave Rovers by the odd goal in three at Islecroft in round two of the Cree Lodge Cup, although the Castle Douglas side took the lead in the second minute through James Baty to put them 1-0 up at the break.

A Grant Middlemas double, however, pegged Threave back with his goals coming in the 52nd and 70th minutes.

Nithsdale Wanderers are also through to the next round following their narrow defeat of Mid-Annandale at Sanquhar bu the odd goal in five. Carlos Crosbie put the Lockerbie side ahead after 20 minutes, with Gary White equalising 15 minutes later to leave the teams level at the interval. Geoff Patterson put Nithsdale ahead but Nathan Muir equalised, before Ian Bell found the winner two minutes from time.

St Cuthbert Wanderers are through to the semi-final stages of the Tweedie Cup following a 4-0 victory over Newton Stewart, although the result does not reflect how close the contest was.

The visitors had the best chance to go ahead in the first half but a Calum Dunn effort struck the crossbar. Two minutes into the second half, a penalty kick taken by Dunn was saved by Saints keeper Sean Hutchison and, against the run of play, Saints broke and Ian Millar found the net.

Newton were reduced to 10 men when Millar’s marker Jonathon Hill received a second yellow card and Millar, after retrieving treatment for a leg injury, retaliated by scoring a second.

Newton heads went down and Barnes scored goal number three before Craig Rudd completed the scoring near the end of the match.

Results from Wednesday, May 1

South of Scotland League

Fleet Star 0 Wigtown and Bladnoch 4

Heston Rovers 3 Creetown 0

Cree Lodge Cup, second round

Dalbeattie Star 2 Threave Rovers 1

Nithsdale Wanderers 3 Mid-Annandale 2

Tweedie Cup, second round

St Cuthbert Wanderers 4 Newton Stewart 0