Vale of cheers in cup shoot-out

Heston's Ryan McGill jumps into this challenge on Wigtown's James McHarrie
Heston's Ryan McGill jumps into this challenge on Wigtown's James McHarrie

Abbey Vale are through to the next round of the Cree Lodge Cup after beating Crichton 4-1 in a penalty shoot-out.

The 90 minutes of regulation time ended all square and goalless with both keepers having a very quiet afternoon.

However, Vale were more consistent in the penalty shoot-out, scoring with each one while the visitors failed three times.

St Cuthbert Wanderers recorded a comfortable victory over Creetown to progress, while Lowland club Threave Rovers had to work hard to see off Newton Stewart 3-1 at Meadow Park.

The visitors took the lead in the eighth minute when youngster Robert Middleton poked the ball past keeper Callum Benson following some good lead up work.

Nine minutes later the match was all square when Scott Wilby converted a penalty kick and although there were chances at both ends there was no further scoring before the break. Strikers Sean Milligan and Grant Parker came off the bench for the second half in a move that paid dividends, with Milligan putting the home side ahead 11 minutes after the restart and Parker securing victory just before the final whistle.

There were three matches played in the South of Scotland League with 13 goals being scored.

Lochar Thistle beat Fleet Star 4-0 with Mike McGauchie score all the goals, while a Roman Soltys hat-trick and a single from Davy Kennedy were enough for Nithsdale Wanderers to see off the threat from Mid-Annandale, who could only find two goals, one in each half from Nathan Muir.

Gary Smith and Jamie McHarrie ensured the three points for league leaders Wigtown and Bladnoch in their match at Trammondford Park against Heston Rovers, who only scored once through Stevie Walker.

Heston took the lead after only five minutes when Walker headed a Ryan Adamson cross into the net at the back post but the home side were level within two minutes when Smith shot home from 12 yards. With 67 minutes played, McHarrie scored from close in for the goal that eventually proved to be the winner.

Heston Rovers manager Raymond Boyd: “This game had chances galore but both teams were guilty of failing to hit the target. There must have been four clear chances each wasted but we are gutted to have lost the match as the boys played well and didn’t deserve to lose. We piled pressure on to the end but couldn’t find the net.”

Results from Saturday, November 16

Cree Lodge Cup second round

Abbey Vale 0 Crichton 0 (Vale won 4-1 on penalties)

St Cuthbert Wanderers 4 Creetown 0

Threave Rovers 3 Newton Stewart 1

South of Scotland League

Lochar Thistle 4 Fleet Star 0

Nithsdale Wanderers 4 Mid-Annandale 2

Wigtown and Bladnoch 2 Heston Rovers 1