Under 18s consolidate place at top of league

On a sunny Saturday morning Newton Stewart U-18’s travelled to Kilmarnock hoping to consolidate their position at the top of the league.

With a strong squad of 15 players eager to play some running rugby, the team took to the field with high expectations.

With both teams raring to go, Kilmarnock got the game underway with a deep kick. J McMiken set the tone for the rest of the game with a strong first carry. The boys then settled into their pod work giving R Morton some clean, quick ball to work with. Newton were steadily working their way up the pitch, then R Morton broke away from the ruck to put in a delicate little chip over the defence for himself to gather. He then showed some great pace to run in the try from 50m out being chased by the full back the whole way. No conversion.

Newton were back on the attack straight from the kick off. With some good, strong carrying from the forwards set up a platform for D Gaw to put a deep kick in which pinned Kilmarnock back in their 22. From their resulting lineout Newton put in some big hits in defence which resulted in a penalty for holding on in the ruck. From this penalty R Morton took a quick tap and passed to R McDonald who hit a hard line to bundle his way over from short range. No conversion.

Newton showed no signs of letting up, with more pressure resulting in several rucks within the Kilmarnock 22. R Morton then broke off the back off the ruck to show some great footwork, dancing his way under the posts from 15m out. The conversion was good.

Newton continued to show their dominance in the forwards and backs with some slick hands getting them outside the Kilmarnock defence. They were stopped just short by a fine defensive tackle. From that resulting ruck the forwards showed their skills with R Donald giving a disguised pass to R McDonald to rumble over in the corner for his second and Newton Stewart’s fourth try. The conversion was missed.

Newton scored their fifth try of the game from R Donald. This came after a period of loose play from Newton resulting in S Wallace making a break down the touchline with R Donald being on hand to flop over from the resulting offload. The conversion was missed.

After half time, Kilmarnock grew into the game with their best piece of attack which never made much inroads into the solid Newton defence.

Newton were soon back on the attack with R Pirrie making a strong run deep into the Kilmarnock 22. With quick ball Newton were able to get outside the broken defence for A Ferrie to cross in the corner. The conversion was missed.

With the game won, Newton started to show some flair. A Kilmarnock infringement on the half way line gave Newton Stewart a penalty. A great touch finder from R Morton brought them within 5m. The resulting lineout was overthrown, but D Adams was quick to the loose ball to jump over and add his name to the scoresheet. The conversion was good.

With a couple minutes to go R Morton topped off a convincing win with his third, and the teams eighth, try in similar fashion to his first. This was converted resulting in a 46-0 win.

Special mention to S Wallace who showed some fantastic footwork, and to R Donald who had a man of the match performance.

Team: R Campbell, R Donald, R McDonald, D Adams, C McCrone, M Craig, A Ferrie, J McMiken, R Morton, D Gaw, S Wallace, S Henry, R Pirrie, C Boyd and D Robinson.