Tweedie final is a wash-out

Threave v Newton called off because of a waterlogged pitch
Threave v Newton called off because of a waterlogged pitch
Share this article

The Tweedie Cup final at Meadow Park had to be abandoned because of a torrential downpour and lightning.

Until it was halted, the contest was a close affair – but the weather being the only winner in the end.

With the teams locked 1-1, referee Jim Thompson took the right decision on the hour mark to abandon the match with the pitch becoming unplayable due to the severe rain storm.

The home team could have gone ahead in the first minute but a Sean Milligan solo effort was well defended. Two minutes later, the game was held up for five minutes for Newton defender Jonathon Hill to be removed from the field of play after receiving an injury to his ankle.

In the 17th minute the visitors took the lead when Robert Paisley fired in a tremendous cross-cum-shot from the right wing which keeper Vinnie Parker could only deflect into his own net. Three minutes before the break, Threave squared the match after Newton keeper Harry Fidler had made a good save from a 25-yard low shot from Milligan which he parried for a corner. The resultant kick was swung into the mix and, following a goalmouth scramble, Darren Kerr claimed last touch as the ball crossed the line.

When the second half kicked off the players from both sides were finding it hard to keep their feet and, after a quarter of an hour, the referee decided to abandon the match for the players’ safety.

In the one league match played, between St Cuthbert Wanderers and Stranraer at St Mary’s Park, Kirkcudbright, the home side won 5-2, although the visitors had been enjoying a two-goal lead.

Gary Smith and Blair Dougan put Stranraer ahead within 20 minutes but a goal from Roddy Cooksley and a penalty conversion from Justin Nicol squared the match by the break.

Nicol put Saints ahead after the restart, with Liam Muir adding number four before Nicol secured his hat-trick, again from the penalty spot, to give the home side the three points.

Results from Monday, May 7.

Tweedie Cup Final

Threave Rovers 1, Newton Stewart 1 (match abandoned after 60 minutes due to waterlogged pitch)

South of Scotland League

St Cuthbert Wanderers 5, Stranraer 2