Triple success for Stewartry clubs

The three Stewartry clubs – St Cuthbert Wanderers, Threave Rovers and Dalbeattie Star – join Gretna 2008 in the third round of the SFA Regional Cup South having each won through on Saturday.

A single goal on Friday night for East of Scotland Premier league side Gretna 2008 by Sergio was enough to see the Raydale Park team through in their match at Galabank against Mid-Annandale.

On Saturday the three Stewartry clubs went through to join them with league leaders Dalbeattie Star seeing off lowly placed Creetown only 2-0 in a game of missed chances from the home side.

In a good match, there were loads of chances for Star but only two were taken, with the first coming five minutes before the break through Ritchie Maxwell. Ten minutes after the restart, Lee Wells found the net again for what was to be the final goal of the match but enough to see Star progress.

St Cuthbert Wanderers made it through in an exciting and evenly matched contest against Heston Rovers at Maryfield. Saints went ahead after 18 minutes when Ryan McKie beat the offside trap to round keeper Keiron McCulloch which gave the visitors a slender half-time lead.

Three minutes after the break, Ross McCrindle scored goal number two when he found space to fire into the net from 10 yards. With 59 minutes played, McKie scored his second and his side’s third with a low shot. Two minutes later Heston broke their duck when Jonathon Boyd scored from the penalty spot and, within a minute, the home side were right back in the match when Magee scored from the edge of the 18-yard box.

A near-post volley in the 67th minute from Stevie Walker saw the sides drawing level but, with extra time looking likely, Liam Muir popped up to score an injury time winner for the Kirkcudbright side.

Heston manager Raymond Boyd said after the match: “We are disappointed at losing the late goal after we clawed our way back into the game. The lads feel that they didn’t give their normal performance and obviously you can’t give any team a three-goal start before you decide to attempt to play and I am sure that we will learn from this.”

Threave Rovers managed to record a quite comfortable 3-1 victory over Glasgow University at Meadow Park with Threave’s Jamie Struthers opening the scoring after 10 minutes to give his side a slender half-time lead.

Jim Fingland added goal number two 16 minutes into the second half, with Scott Wilby scoring the third from the penalty spot. Gareth Jones scored a consolation for the visitors two minutes from time but the Castle Douglas side ran out comfortable victors to take their place in the third round of this season’s Regional Cup competition.

There were also three South of Scotland league matches played last Saturday with Wigtown and Bladnoch’s hard-fought 4-2 victory over neighbours Newton Stewart at Trammondford Park taking them up into second place in the league table.

The home side went ahead in the 15th minute when John Lowe floated in a shot come cross from well out on the right which deceived Newton keeper Harry Fidler and ended up in the net. In a rousing encounter the visitors drew level five minutes before the break when Johnny Fisher struck home from 10 yards into the corner of the net to send the teams in at the break all square.

Two minutes after the interval, Wigtown restored their lead when Richard Jones latched onto a loose ball to fire into the net and with 20 minutes left to play a Jamie McHarrie solo run ended up with his angular shot finishing up in the net. Shortly after substitute Stephen Beggs took a free kick from 25 yards which found the upright but Fisher was first to respond to claw back another goal.

With time running out and Newton pushing for an equaliser, McHarrie was fed the ball and as he ran though the middle he was fouled in the box by central defender Lewis Richardson and, after dusting himself down, stepped up to send the ball beyond keeper Fidler for goal number four.

Crichton beat Abbey Vale 3-2 at New Abbey with Brodie Turner scoring first for the visitors in the 23rd minute. Lee Malin equalised five minutes later with Fraser Brolls putting Vale in front seven minutes before the break, although by all accounts many chances were squandered.

In the 50th minute a Stephen Wallace effort deceived the home keeper and ended up in the net as the teams went level once more and, three minutes later, Crichton claimed the points when Russell Thomson scored from six yards at the back post.

Fleet Star’s poor form continued when they travelled to Sanquhar and were beaten 5-1 by Nithsdale Wanderers. Goals from Rory Kirkpatrick, Jim Houston and Davy Thompson and a double from Laurie Johnstone saw Nithsdale go nap with Dale McCutcheon scoring a first half consolation goal.

Results from Saturday, October 27.

SFA Challenge Cup South, Round Two

Mid-Annandale 0, Gretna 2008 1

Dalbeattie Star 2, Creetown 0

Heston Rovers 3, St Cuthbert Wanderers 4

Threave Rovers 3, Glasgow University 1

South of Scotland League

Abbey Vale 2, Crichton 3

Nithsdale Wanderers 5, Fleet Star 1

Wigtown and Bladnoch 4, Newton Stewart 2