Three and easy for victors

Wigtown keeper Martin John McCaulay turns the ball round from Threave's Gavin Green
Wigtown keeper Martin John McCaulay turns the ball round from Threave's Gavin Green

By way of coincidence, all the South of Scotland League matches played last Saturday ended up with the winners scoring three goals in their respective matches.

League leaders Dalbeattie Star kept up their winning sequence by recording a 3-0 victory over Stewartry neighbours St Cutbert Wanderers at Islecroft, which leaves them still unbeaten in the league this season with 10 straight victories and six points clear at the top of the table.

Star took the lead after 14 minutes when a Hugh Cameron cross was turned into his own net by Saints Jim Kirk to give the home side a slender lead that they took into the break.

A minute after the restart Star doubled their lead through prolific goal scorer Scott Milligan, and the visitors were reduced to 10 men when Barry Whyte was red-carded.

However, despite being man down, Saints fought back, with some outstanding goalkeeping from Graham Wright keeping the Kirkcudbright side at bay and, in time added on, Lewis Sloan added goal number three to eventually give the home side a comfortable victory.

Threave Rovers maintained their challenge at the top with a 3-1 victory over Wigtown and Bladnoch at Trammondford Park. The result keeps them within touching distance of the leaders.

Sam Warren lobbed the home keeper after 24 minutes and, two minutes later, Wigtown’s Richard Jones and Threave’s Liam Patterson saw red and were dismissed. A Warren header on the half-hour mark gave the Castle Douglas side a two-goal half-time advantage and player/manager Vinnie Parker saved a second half penalty from Jamie McHarrie to keep their lead intact.

In the 64th minute, a Sean Milligan header increased Threave’s lead with the home side finding a consolation goal when a McHarrie shot was deflected past keeper Parker after Wigtown’s Neil Erskine had been sent off.

Fleet Star are getting closer to recording a victory but went down 3-2 against Mid-Annandale at Garries Park and still remain pointless.

Mids Chris Norvel latched onto a long free kick to put the visitors ahead in the 13th minute and, on the half-hour mark, Star squandered a chance to level the match when their trialist missed from the penalty spot.

With 36 minutes played, Carlos Crosbie met the ball at the back post for the second goal for the visitors to give them a two-goal cushion at half-time.

In the 58th minute, the trialist made amends for his penalty miss when he headed home from a corner kick. Star drew level in the 78th minute through Keiron Dirom, but in the 82nd minute Norvel struck the winner for Mids although Keiron Murray had a penalty kick saved three minutes from time.

There was a tight match played at Hospital Park where Heston Rovers ran out winners against Crichton with a 3-1 victory.

Following a goal-less first half, the visitors took the lead on the hour mark when a Craig Adamson pass found Fraser Magee who shot into the net from the edge of the 18-yard box. Fifteen minutes later, Russell Jardine found an unmarked Ollie Spence to head home and, three minutes later, Adamson scored from the penalty spot after Steve Walker had been tripped up in the box.

Crichton scored from the penalty spot five minutes from time through Roman Soltys for what proved to be a consolation goal.

Heston manager Raymond Boyd said after the match: “Our play was classy at times as we moved the ball around well. Everyone played their part in our pass and move tactics which paid of by scoring two superb goals.”

Nithsdale Wanderers gained revenge for the previous week’s Haig Gordon Cup defeat by Newton Stewart by recording a 3-0 victory over the Wigtownshire side at Sanquhar.

However, the scoreline did not reflect the closeness of the match in which the home side took the lead in the 12th minute when some sloppy defending let Davy Thomson in to fire home from six yards.

Geoffrey Patterson scored goal number two following a good passing move from midfield in the 36th minute to give the home side a two-goal advantage at the break.

Although the visitors played well they could not find the break through against a strong Nithsdale defence and the game was over nine minutes from time when Thomson was adjudged to have been upended in the box by Newton keeper Harry Fidler and awarded a penalty. The striker stepped up to send the ball beyond Fidler for his second goal of the day and his side’s third for a result which put the Sanquhar side up into third place in the table.

Results from November 10

South of Scotland League

Abbey Vale v Creetown – match postponed

Crichton 1 Heston Rovers 3

Dalbeattie Star 3 St Cuthbert Wanderers 0

Fleet Star 2 Mid-Annandale 3

Nithsdale Wanderers 3 Newton Stewart 0

Wigtown and Bladnoch 1 Threave Rovers 3