Threave nearly kiss league goodbye

Even though the Threave onslought of the Stranraer goal was relentless at times, keeper Martin McCauley pulled off some cracking saves to keep the a clean sheet going into the second half. GG 0404004 11
Even though the Threave onslought of the Stranraer goal was relentless at times, keeper Martin McCauley pulled off some cracking saves to keep the a clean sheet going into the second half. GG 0404004 11
Share this article

SOUTH champions Threave Rovers almost slipped up in their ambitions to land this season’s league when they fell behind to a Mark Whorlow goal at Meadow Park in the match against Stranraer with only 15 minutes left to play.

South of Scotland League

Creetown 1 Mid-Annandale 0

Dalbeattie Star 4 Crichton 1

Heston Rovers v Abbey Vale - Match postponed

Newton Stewart 0 St Cuthbert Wanderers 3

Threave Rovers 2 Stranraer 1

Wigtown and Bladnoch 4 Nithsdale Wanderers 3

But the Castle Douglas side’s ‘never say die’ attitude came to the fore when they won the game in time added on. An Andrew Donely header levelled the match and Darren Kerr won the three points for his side with another headed goal well into added time, although the visitors did have another scoring opportunity before the final whistle which they failed to covert and which would have given them a point - which by all accounts they would have deserved with their overall performance on the day. This victory for Threave keeps them three points ahead of challengers St Cuthbert Wanderers and Dalbeattie Star.

Both the challenging sides had comfortable victories with Star beating Crichton by four goals to one at Islecroft, which saw Jak Dingwall and Scott Milligan giving them a two goal advantage by the break. With 10 minutes left to play Milligan scored his second from a free kick and striker Roman Soltys added his side’s fourth before Ross Moncreiff scored a consolation goal from the penalty spot three minutes into time added on.

St Cuthbert Wanderers kept the pressure on at the top of the table with a three goals to nil victory over Newton Stewart at Blairmount Park although the scoreline does not reflect how close this match was. The visitors took the lead after nine minutes’ play with a Craig Rudd penalty conversion after Jack Nixon had been fouled in the box as he ran through the Newton defence. The home side battled well and made some good goal scoring chances of their own but failed to find the net. With the final whistle looming Newton threw caution to the wind in an attempt to claw back a goal but they were punished for their all out attacking when slack defending allowed Johnny Nichol in to secure the three points for a much relieved Saints side in the 90th minute. Two minutes later substitute Adam Kassim broke away to side foot into the net for goal number three to end the match on a scoreline which slightly flattered Saints and failed to reflect on how close this contest had been.

Creetown enjoyed a very good victory over Mid-Annandale at Castle Cary Park with a solitary goal being enough to take the three points. The winning goal however came from a rather unlikely source with central defender Andrew Houston scoring with a left foot shot 10 minutes from the end of the match. Wigtown and Bladnoch shared seven goals with Nithsdale Wanderers at Trammondford Park and came out on top by the odd goal following a second half fight back. Paul Weir opened the scoring for Nithsdale in the sixth minute when he drove a good pass from Davy Thomson into the net. Six minutes later there were no takers when Ian Bell directed another good ball across goal and then firstly Paul Weir and then Neil Murray missed easy chances to put Nithsdale further ahead. However in the 29th minute Davy Thomson made no mistake when he scored Nithsdale’s second. Ten minutes later in their first foray into the Nithsdale half of the park Scott Forrester slipped the ball past the Nithsdale keeper to pull one back before the break. Right at the start of the second half Stuart Bell rose high above the home defence to head a corner kick into the back of the net. Nithsdale looked to have done enough to win the match but the home side had other ideas. Gavin Williamson scored in the 51st and 69th minutes and then, with 18 minutes, to go Rab Jamieson laid claim to the points with Wigtown’s fourth. The match between Heston Rovers and Abbey Vale was called off with the pitch at Maryfield waterlogged.