Ten in a row for Ferrytoon

Saturday 3rd Jan'Creetown v Dumfries YMCA'Sliding into this tackle No.6 Christopher Faulds on Creetown's No.8 John Morrison
Saturday 3rd Jan'Creetown v Dumfries YMCA'Sliding into this tackle No.6 Christopher Faulds on Creetown's No.8 John Morrison

South Scene by John McNaught

Results from Saturday 3rd January, 2014

Potts Cup –Round One

Abbey Vale 4 Mid-Annandale 6

Creetown 10 Dumfries YMCA 0

Fleet Star v Newton Stewart – match postponed

Nithsdale Wanderers 2 Edusport Academy 2 – Edusport won 4-3 on penalties

St Cuthbert Wanderers 3 Lochar Thitsle 2

Upper Annandale v Wigtown and Bladnoch – match postponed

Two matches once again became the victims of the adverse weather conditions last Saturday when the games at Moffat between Upper Annandale and Wigtown and Bladnoch and the one at Gatehouse where Fleet Star were meant to play Newton Stewart were called off. However, four matches did go ahead one of them being the ten-goal thriller at New Abbey where Abbey Vale went down to Mid-Annandale by six goals to four. The visitors were three goals to the good after only twenty-five minutes with Keith Houston striking in the fourteenth minute with his first goal for the Lockerbie side. Sean Dunbar added number two a minute later with a tap in from a Nathan Muir cross with Micky Henderson finding a third in the twenty fifth minute with a twenty-five yard free kick. A minute later Henderson gave away a penalty which was converted by Steve Couper before Lee Mallin brought his side right back into the contest in the thirty eighth minute following a goalmouth scramble. However, Connar Murray popped up a minute before the break to restore Mids two goal advantage to take into the half time interval. Four minutes after the re-start Ben Irvine drew a goal back for Vale before Mids Keith Houston was red-carded leaving the visitors with ten men. In the sixty-third minute Mallin scored for the home side from close in to level the match. With Mids looking down and out they found a second wind for Muir to score a double in the final fifteen minutes of play. In the seventy-fifth minute Muir lobbed his sides fifth goal and followed up with a header five minutes from the end of the match to seal victory and progression to round two of this particular competition.

Creetown cruised to a ten goal victory over Dumfries YMCA with Ross Landers scoring six with Scott Philips and John Morrison adding a double apiece. St Cuthbert Wanderers found themselves two goal adrift at the break but fought back to score three second half goals to progress to round two.

Nithsdale Wanderers did well to finish ninety minutes against Edusport Academy recording a two all draw but went down by four goals to three in a penalty shoot out.