Stranraer hit goal in 17-0 rout

STRANRAER set what is probably a new club scoring record when they defeated Nithsdale Wanderers 17-0 on Saturday.

Five goals each from Andrew Carnochan and Ian Millar and four from Allan Murdoch were added to by singles from Mark Whorlow, Robert John Paisley and Craig Bradley to give the home side an overwhelming victory.

This win would seem to suggest the Stair Park side have overcame their sluggish start to the season and that once again they will be a force to be reckoned with for the silverware.

Threave Rovers, Dalbeattie Star and Heston Rovers remain undefeated after the first three matches of the season.

Heston beat 10-man Newton Stewart with two late goals from Gordon Gibson after the match was tied at two goals each with 10 minutes left to play.

Last season's first and second in the league, Threave Rovers and Crichton, locked horns at Meadow Park.

Following a goalless first half, Scott Wilby put the home side in the lead five minutes after the break with a header and added a second from the penalty spot six minutes later, after Sean Kevin was brought down in the box.

James Beattie ensured victory in the 76th minute, which means last season's runners-up sit bottom of the league after three defeats and the champs retain their place as one of the front-runners.

Dalbeattie Star are looking strong candidates to take the league this season and claimed the three points at Trammondford against Wigtown, with Rab Harkness opening the scoring in the 28th minute with a fierce drive.

Scott Milligan scored a hat-trick in the second half to ensure the three points at a difficult venue, with goals in the 54th, 89th and 90th minutes, with the last direct from a free-kick on the edge of the box.

St Cuthberts kept up with the challengers with a 4-2 win over Abbey Vale at New Abbey.

Paul McClymont gave Saints the lead in the 18th minute with a header, but Ian Quinn equalised from the spot a minute later after Jim Kirk had handled, to send the teams in at the break all-square.

Gary McClymont gave Saints the lead again six minutes after the re-start and sub Norman Montgomery increased the lead in the 57th minute before Vale drew one back 20 minutes later when Greg Robertson deceived keeper Sean Hutchison to slot the ball home.

With three minutes left, Gary McClymont tied up the points, much to the relief of Saints, who lost their league match against Vale last season at New Abbey.

Creetown have still to record any points after being beaten by Fleet Star in a seven-goal thriller at Ballgreen Park, Kirkcowan.

Ex-Star player Terry McKie gave Creetown the lead after only five minutes with a shot from 18 yards, but Andy Gilston levelled in the 16th minute when he drew the home keeper to slot home.

Davy McKie scored with a header from a Kevin Jamieson corner and Ryan McKie scored for the home side to send the teams in at the interval all-square at two each.

Five minutes after the re-start, Kevin Smith turned in a Jamieson cross to give Star the lead, but the match was all-square again in the 62nd minute when Alan Johnstone scored for Creetown.

Ten minutes later, Gilston clipped the ball over the Creetown keeper for his side's fourth and decisive goal to earn the three points.


Saturday, August 1. South League: Abbey Vale 2 St Cuthbert Wanderers 4; Creetown 3 Fleet Star 4; Newton Stewart 2 Heston Rovers 4; Stranraer 17 (seventeen) Nithsdale Wanderers 0; Threave Rovers 3 Crichton 0; Wigtown 0 Dalbeattie Star 4.