Stewartry win table top clash at Greenlaw

The top of the table clash at Greenlaw between leaders Cambuslang against second placed Stewartry the game living up to top billing with both teams sharing eleven tries.

Cambuslang came out the traps with three long range tries in the first fifteen minutes.

The first try in seven minutes was a passing move involving all the Cambuslang backs taking the ball from right to left from the half way line. Three minutes later another breakaway from the visitors and it was try number two. 10-0 Cambuslang.

Twelve minutes and Stewartry won a penalty ten metres out but Moseys kick came off the post. Cambuslang kicked off and were soon in the Stewartry with another breakaway try three in fifteen minutes.

Stewartry reverted to forward play keeping the ball tight gaining a penalty close to the try line. A pushover try was scored by number eight Martin Smith.

Broll and Porteous led the way the way on the next charge to win a scrum. John Muir took Moseys pass and ran in from half way to score. Mosey added the conversion.

Stewartry were now in the game with Muir twice and John Kerr making inroads into the Cambuslang 22.

Five minutes from halftime T J McCarney broke down the touchline to score in the corner. Mosey added the conversion. The half finished with the Referee having to break up twenty man brawl after a high tackle on a Stewartry player. Half time 19-15 Stewartry.

It was Stewartry who started best in the second half with Scott Milligan scoring in the corner after scampering down the touchline for the bonus point.

Cambuslang reacted right away scoring their bonus point try in forty six minutes and minutes later their fifth try put them back ahead 24-25. Just after an hour Stewartry won a big scrum in the midfield. Smith passed to Farquhar whose perfect pass sent TJ McCarney down the touchline for his second try. If Stewartry thought they could hold on Cambuslang gave them a quick answer with a sixth try to retake the lead but another conversion miss gave Stewartry a final chance after six missed conversions.

From the kick off Stevie McCulloch was quick up to steal the ball fifteen metres into the Cambuslang half winning Stewartry a penalty. Mosey was quick up to take possession of the ball and kicked what was the winning points 32-30.

Stewartry held on to the ball for the last five minutes with a series of scrummages running down time to the delight of the home Greenlaw crowd. A great result and a great game from two committed teams.

This week Stewartry are away to Cumbernauld kick off 3pm.