Stewartry Sunday League

ALL the latest Sunday scores.

The first cup final will take place at Colliston Park, Dalbeattie tonight (Friday) – The Exclusive Security Cup sponsored by Unicorn Restaurant, Newton Stewart.

The Exclusive Security cup is one of two main cups and is being played out by Creebridge House Hotel (Newton Stewart) and Market Inn (Castle Douglas).

Cum Ye Inn 5-2 Twynholm

Cum Ye Inn reached the final of the Clive Harris Memorial Trophy at the expense of Twynholm in a keenly contested game that was perhaps lacking in quality the longer it went on. Twynholm were quick out the blocks and scored the opening goal with minutes. From a free kick just outside the corner of the penalty area, Mickey Warren expertly stroked the ball over the wall and into the top corner of the goal. Cum Ye Inn seemed shocked but did manage to quickly strike back through Blair Steele and when Stevo Scott cut in from the right and netted a second shortly after, Twynholm might have feared a repeat of the pervious score line between the teams. However, up the field they went and promptly equalised through Alan McRobert who was given a free header to steer past the Cum Ye Inn ‘keeper. Again, Cum Ye Inn got back in front quickly with Fraser Agnew netting. Steele then scored his second and notched his hat-trick from the penalty spot after Agnew had been felled in the box before the referee blew up for half-time. Half-time Cum Ye Inn 3-2 Twynholm.

The second half didn’t really live up to the expectations that the first had suggested with neither team able to add to their tally although both went close. Steele could have scored his fourth after John McRobert beat the Twynholm ‘keeper to the ball at the edge of the box and crossed but managed to scoop the ball over from a few yards out. Twynholm also had a good chance but Hamilton in the Cum Ye Inn Goal pulled off a point blank stop and the ball was smuggled away.

Scorers: Cum Ye Inn (Steele x 3, Scott, Agnew) Twynholm (Warren, McRobert)

Creebridge House Hotel 6-3 Crown

Creebridge progressed in this cup campaign with a home win. After only 8 mins Creebridge took the lead with a 18 yard shot from Ross Inger. Creebridge had a lot of play and scored a good second goal through David Whyte. However, a fight back was on the cards when the Crown scored just before half time to make it 2-1.

The second half started with Creebridge on top and with a lot of pressure they scored a third with Kieran Jolly finishing off a good move, it was soon 4-1 to Creebridge when McClymont laid a fine ball across the goal mouth for Robert Middleton to slot the ball home. The Crown rallied and ended up with just rewards from a good move when they got a second making it 4�2. As the game wore on more pressure from Creebridge put the game out of sight with two quick goals the first from Kieran Jolly getting on the end of a long throw from Petrie and heading home and then the goal of the match from Barry Smith when the ball broke 30yds out after a corner an unstoppable drive leaving the keeper no chance, a late consolation goal from veteran Richard “Peachy” Simpson made the final score 6-3 to Creebridge.

S.S.A.F.A League, sponsored by James King Coach Hire.

Twynholm 3-6 Ferrytoon

This was a gripping affair between the two teams in hoops, with the greens running out winners by 6 goals to 3. It could have been a different outcome however but for a fine display from the Ferry keeper. Just like the cup-tie between these two the the opening stages were edgy, with both sides having half chances. The breakthrough came in the thirteenth minute and it was certainly that for Twynholms centre back Hunter whos scuffed clearance found the feet of Juris “Doory” Kaneps who curled a right foot shot into the net. Twynholm’s bad luck continued when they were hit by a Rangers style salvo of three goals in five minutes. Craig Laven got the goal-scoring run going on 19 min when he raced away from his marker to side the ball past the rushing keeper. Doory got his second from the edge of the box on 22 following a corner and two minutes later Anderssons poked home from close range after a stramash in the area. Twynholm were rattled at this stage and were looking at damage limitation now and saw out the half. Half time Twynholm 0-4 Ferrytoon.

If the first half was entertaining the blue touchpaper was lit in the second. Twynholm were like a wakened giant as they started to find their feet and in 55 mins they got a lifeline when the ref pointed to the spot after Briggs was brought down. Up stepped Danny Morrison and duly scored though Navin will feel he should’ve done better in the goal. in the 63rd min and the first of two red cards were shown John “Bean” McNally the culprit for foul and abusive language. Twynholm reshuffled while trying to keep up the momentum, Briggs proving to be a handfull. 75 mins gone and it was ten aside when Kirk was given his marching orders. 4 mins later and Twynholm got their second goal when Hunter made amends for his earlier mistake scoring from close range. Then Twnholm were awarded penalty number two when Briggs was upended in the box, and after some debate Andy Little stepped up to blast the ball home. This was turning into a humdinger of a match and the home team were fired up. On 85 mins it was game over though as sub Wallace with the fresh legs scored from the edge of the box. there was still tme for drama as Doory was sent off following an altercation with Briggs. Laven completed the scoring in stoppage time with his second of the match.

Scorers: Twnyholm (Morrison, Hunter, Little) Ferrytoon (Kaneps x 2, Laven x 2, Anderssons, Wallace)

Cum Ye Inn 4-4 Tides Inn

Cum Ye Inn and Tides Inn played out an entertaining draw where perhaps both teams will wonder how they came away with a point. On a miserable Sunday afternoon in Dalbeattie, Tides were first to strike when a high ball into the box wasn’t convincingly claimed by McLauchlan in the Cum Ye Inn goal and Stevie Little was on hand to bundle the ball over the line. A second goal followed when a free kick from the right deflected into the path of Craig Campbell who smashed home from six yards out. Cum Ye Inn probed for openings but when they came couldn’t provide the finishing touch and it was while they pressed forward that Lazenby chased down a long ball before cutting in from the edge of the box and bending a left footed shot past the keeper to make it 3-0 at half-time.

The second half saw Cum Ye Inn given an opportunity to get back into the match when a handball at the edge of the box meant they were awarded a penalty. Up stepped Neil Little but he saw his strike was saved by the Tides ‘keeper. Tides must have thought the game was won when moments later Ian Cairnie scored direct from a free kick outside the box although McLauchlan should have done a lot better and kept it out.

However, as the Sun broke through the clouds, Cum Ye Inn turned the game around completely with Stevie Campbell pulling the first goal back with a 25 yard shot that was helped past the Tides ‘keeper by the greasy surface. When Halliday fired a second from inside the box, Cum Ye Inn had around 20 minutes to salvage something from the match but it required a superb save from McLauchlan and the crossbar to stop them going 5-2 down. With 10 minutes left John McRobert chipped in to make it 4-3 and in the last minute of injury time, Mark Whalen was on hand as a deflected shot fell at his feet for him to power home the equaliser.

Scorers: Cum Ye Inn (Little, Campbell, Lazenby, Cairnie) Tides (Campbell, Halliday, McRobert, Whalen)

Creebridge House Hotel 4-2 Market Inn

Creebridge notched up another league win. They initially went a goal down early on through striker Stephen Hogg and were made to fight back in a scrappy match to get an equaliser just before half time through Grant Fitzsimmons. Half time: Creebridge 1-1 Market.

After the break it was end to end stuff with Creebridge not converting the chances they made. Creebridge then made a couple of changes and were rewarded straightaway with young Whyte getting a quick goal ending a fine run with a neat finish. Murphy was now winning the battle in the middle letting young David Whyte find more space and again he latched onto a fine ball from Murphy with Whyte ending it with a chip over the keeper to make it 3 � 1. A break from Market ended with Smith of Creebridge stretching to clear a ball through the middle but the ball ended up going over his own keeper for a O.G. Creebridge dug in and were again rewarded with a great finish from young Robert Middleton chipping the advancing keeper to give a final score of 4 � 2 to Creebridge.

Scorers: Creebridge (Whyte x 2, Fitzsimmons, Middleton) Market (Hogg, Own goal)

Youth United 8-1 Crown

The game was played at Jocks Loaning in Dumfries with the weather providing good conditions for the match. Youth United started the match on the offensive, with Anton Mackay scoring after 3 minutes from a tap in, coming from a good ball played across the box. United continued to dominate the game with the Crown restricted to attacking on the break. At this point United were playing some good football down both wings with the Youth United strikers seeing plenty of the ball. After 15 minutes United scored a second with an identical goal to the first one with Boyce scoring from a tap in. Two minutes later Boyce scored his second with a header from a great cross by Stevie Dinnell to make it three nil to United. United continued to enjoy the majority of the possession and Mckay scored his second after a mix up by the Crown defence with the Crown keeper misjudging a poor pass back and Mackay placing the ball into the net. By this point United were playing some great football and made their possession count when Stevie Dinnell scored directly from a corner after 42 minutes. Youth United 5-0 Crown.

United continued to attack the crown goal in the second half with the Crown getting the occasional foray into United�s half. Coupland for United was next to score to make it 6 nil with a header from close range after 60 minutes. Mackay completed his hat trick in 70 minutes with a shot from 10 yards, which was thoroughly deserved as he was leading the United attack superbly. The Crown started to create a few half chances but the United back four continued to defend well. Youth United sub Ryan Service then came on to score the eighth goal for United after 80 minutes with another tap in from close range. Credit to the Crown for battling on and their reward was a consolation goal when Hunter fired the ball into the net from a corner. United continued to create chances but could not take them. A good result for United against a team who had recently been getting some great results. Man of the match must go to Jamie Crosbie who marshalled the United rear guard well.

Scorers: Youth United (Mackay x 3, Boyce x 2, Dinnell, Coupland, Service) Crown (Hunter)

Association Sponsors James King Coach Hire

Unicorn Restaurant

We are published in:

Recent News Week 4 - League Games

Week 4 - Cup Games

Week 5 - League Games

Archived News Season Start 2011

Week 1 - League

Week 1 - Cup Games

Week 2 - League

Week 2 - Cup Games

Week 3 - League

Week 3 - Cup Games