Stewartry Sunday League

Share this article

League report

Week 4 saw a full card of games in the S.S.A.F.A League, sponsored by James King Coach Hire

Ferrytoon 5-3 Tides Inn

Tides travelled through to Creetown on Friday the 13th for this league game and it turned out to be a Black Friday for them as they were beaten for the first time in the League. Tides almost took the lead in five minutes when Stevie Little unleashed a vicious shot from fully 40 yards and a great save by Matt Burton, the Ferry keeper, stopped the away side going in front. It was Ferry that took the lead on 10 minutes when Ryan Kirk collected the ball on the left and passed it into Jani Anderssons who sweetly passed it through to striker Doory Kennedy who in turn rattled it into the back of the net. Ferry were on a roll at this point and managed to double their lead when Kirk again collected ball on left hand side, strolled past two Tides players and completed a neat one-two with Kennedy to score his first Ferry goal when he tapped it into net after rounding the keeper. Ferry increased their lead when Juri Kaneps shot home from 30 yards giving Macteir no chance.

Tides started the second half the strongest which did not please Ferry’s manager who had told his team not to slack off and their pressure paid off as Stevie Little scored with a header after getting on the end of a long throw by Davis, the same player scored again for Tides and again it was from a long throw finding Little’s head. The Ferry defence at this stage was all at sea but Russell at the back managed to steady the ship and calm everybody down, Ferry then increased their lead when Kenny Wallace picked up on some bad defensive play by the visitors and he shot home, Tides then pressed and got a penalty when Burton was harshly sent off for trying to save at the feet of Ross. Up stepped big “Ginger” Davis and he converted the penalty to make it 4-3. It was set up for barnstorming last five minutes and the game was finally over when Jani Anderssons got the ball at edge of box and cooly lifted it over the advancing McCaig and then he calmly put it past the Tides’ keeper giving Ferry their first victory of the season and a well deserved one over a very good Tides team.

Scorers: Ferrytoon (Kennedy, Kirk, Kaneps, Wallace, Anderssons) Tides (Little x 2, Davis).

Twynholm 3-9 Cum Ye Inn

This game was brought forward to 10am so as not to clash with ‘Helicopter Sunday’. Unfortunately Twynholm forgot to bring their minds forward, as they found themselves a goal down within seconds of the start. Neil “Shadow” Little pouncing from the edge of the box. Twynholm were finding their more experienced opponents a handfull, but got themselves on level terms in the 11th minute when Briggs scored after good work-rate in closing down the Cum Ye Inn keeper. Cum Ye Inn re-took the lead in the 16th minute when Niven turned into his own goal. Just one minute later Little bagged his second. Halliday then made it four in the 23rd min from a dubious-looking offside position. Twynholm’s luck was summed up on 32 minutes when a Campbell shot took a wicked delection on its way into the net. Half time Twnholm 1-5 Cum Ye Inn.

The second half started more encouragingly fot the ‘Num’ and they pulled a goal back in the 37th minute, a McKie cross avoiding everybody to hit the net via the post. Four minutess later and it was Twynholm who scored again when Morrison’s shot from 20 yards was deflected into the net. At this point Twynholm were playing some neat football. Then in 59 minutes Campbell got his second of the day running from his own half before rounding the keeper to slide home. Malcolm made it seven for Cum Ye Inn, tapping in from Little’s pass on 68. Halliday bagged his second helped by a blunder from keeper McIlroy (71 minutes). Then trialist Mason saw red following a professional foul (75 minutes). Hamilton rounded up the scoring in the 83rd minute following yet another keeper blunder. Final score Twynholm 3-9 Cum Ye Inn.

Scorers: Twynholm (McKie, Morrison, Briggs) Cum Ye Inn (Little x 2, Own goal, Halliday x 2, Campbell x 2, Malcolm).

Crown 4-4 Market Inn

Crown started this game in confident mood and managed to find the net three times in the first 25 minutes. The first a through ball finding Dale Bower, who powered the ball into the net to get his 10th of the season. David Eveleigh was on hand to score the second for Crown as he placed the ball into the corner. A third was planted into the corner by Muirhead. Market pulled one back from a set piece after Phlanz was found unmarked from a corner. Crown scored again through Bower to make it 4-1 at half time.

Market started the second half as they meant to go on as they clawed themselves back into the game. Goals from Hogg, again a header from a set piece, Andrew Burgess and Steven Robison. Market looked the more likely team to go on and win the game and had a few chances towards the end of the game. Sneddon blasting wide on his unfavoured left foot was the pick of the chances. The game was marred when Crown’s goal-machine Dale Bower was injured badly and had to receive treatment for a fractured leg. Everyone from the Crown football team and also many opposition teams have passed on their best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

Scorers: Crown (Bower x 2, Eveleigh, Muirhead) Market (Phlanz, Hogg).

Youth United 3-3 Creebridge House Hotel

Scorers: Youth United (Shaun Boyce, Ross Coupland, Lee Taylor) Creebridge (David McCreadie, David McCutcheon, Garry McKnight)