Stewartry record second triumph

Cambuslang 32, Stewartry 36

THIS is Stewartry’s best start to their league programme since season 1996-97 when they won both their opening games and went on to finish second in National League one.

Stewartry started well, with the scrum in command in the early exchanges, but, within seven minutes, from a lineout in the Stewartry 22, Cambuslang won good ball and the backs sent the big number 13 through on a crash ball for the first try. The conversion was added to make it 7-0.

Nine minutes into the game, Cambuslang lost their tighthead prop to a shoulder injury after some strong scrummaging from the Stewartry pack.

From a penalty in the Cambuslang 22, captain Ian Fenwick was stopped just short of the line and, from the scrum, stand-off Craig Mosey kicked through and touched down but the score was disallowed for a knock-on. Mosey – now fired up – put John Muir through for him to set up scrum-half Bob Wallace for Stewartry’s opening try, Cammy Fenwick converting for 7-7.

Minutes later Stewartry had scored again when Muir broke through the Cambuslang defence to be stopped short of the line but for Ian Fenwick to take the ball and crash over for the try. Brother Cammy added the conversion.

Once again, a penalty lineout in the Stewartry 22 led to a second Cambuslang try with the centre again bursting through for the score.

Two minutes later Cambuslang were back in the lead, winning a scrum in the Stewartry 22 and scoring out wide.

Stewartry were in disarray at this point with some dissent to the referee costing them dear with a third try for their number 13. Just before half-time, Stewartry closed the gap to one point when, from a penalty lineout, Mosey ran in for a deserved try to which Cammy Fenwick added the extra points for a half-time score of 22-21.

Stewartry started the second half with a bang when player-coach John Muir showed the Blacks how it should be done, scoring a fine try to take the lead again at 22-26.

Cambuslang closed the gap with a penalty in front of the posts but Stewartry made some changes in the front row, with Tommy Cannon coming on to add some bulk, which gave the Blacks the momentum to push over the line from a scrum five metres out and give Ian Fenwick his second pushover try in two games.

Minutes later, a Cambuslang try was disallowed for a knock-on as the home team put the pressure on. With 20 minutes left, Stewartry brought S Broll back on along with H Adamson and S Hogg for the final push but it was Cambuslang who won a loose ball in the tackle and the number 13 scored a fourth try with the conversion added to put Cambuslang back in the lead for a third time at 32-31.

In the last ten minutes, Stewartry had two penalty kicks from within the Cambuslang 22 but Cammy Fenwick watched agonisingly as both came back off the posts. However, Stewartry kept their cool and, with two minutes left, the ball was won in a midfield ruck and quickly dispatched to winger Andrew Kerr who went over for the winning score for a second bonus-point win.

Stewartry stay second in the RBS West Division Two behind Annan and are at home to third placed Lenzie this week with a 3pm kick-off.

The Stewartry squad are sponsored by WC in Fields.

Team: J Muir; D Kerr, C Fenwick, D Boyd, A Kerr; C Mosey, R Wallace; S Broll, D Burton, I McMorran, L Henderson, K McMinn, S McCulloch, R Porteous, I Fenwick (captain), H Adamson, T Cannon, S Hogg.