Star shoot to high scoreline

Saturday 14th Febuary'Newton Stewart v Dalbeattie Star'No way past Newton's No.3 Thomas Garett for Star's No.7 Jack Steele
Saturday 14th Febuary'Newton Stewart v Dalbeattie Star'No way past Newton's No.3 Thomas Garett for Star's No.7 Jack Steele

Lowland League Club Dalbeattie Star recorded the highest scoreline of the day in their SFA Regional Cup Round three match at Blairmount as they coasted to an easy six goals to nil victory.

Star had already been beaten this season by the Creesiders but there was never ever any danger of a repeat this time around.

Right from the kick-off Star showed their intent and had the home side chasing shadows but it took them until the twenty-sixth minute to open the scoring through a well placed header from striker Tommy Muir. Nine minutes later Muir scored goal number two when keeper Harry Fidler failed to hold a fierce shot from mid-fielder Danny Dunglinson and the young striker was the first to respond to fire the rebound into the net. Dunlingson added a third before the break when he side-footed the ball past Fidler and when the referee blew for the half time break it was met with great relief from all connected with the home side with Star very much on top. Five minutes after the re-start Star went further ahead when a Lewis Sloan free kick was deflected past keeper Fidler for goal number four.

Within a further three minutes Star went nap when Gregor Anderson found the net before Lewis Todd completed the rout. Star continued to play nice fast moving football but the Newton players kept working as hard as they could to contain the eager Star players from scoring any more goals.

BSC Glasgow found the net four times against Wigtown and Bladnoch who failed to respond while Upper Annandale went down by three goals to one to Edusport Academy at Moffat. Two Lowland League sides met when East Kilbride played hosts to Gretna 2008 with the home side winning the tie by four goals to two.

There were four matches played in the South of Scotland League with the result of the day being at St Mary’s Park where St Cuthbert Wanderers went down by three goals to two to Heston Rovers although leading by a single goal at the interval which was scored by striker Roman Soltys. An own goal from Malcolm Burgess levelled the match before Russell Jardine hit a double and Soltys pulled one back for Saints. Heston played out the final twenty minutes of the match with only ten men after Craig Adamson had been red carded but held out to take the three points from their match against the present league leaders.

Abbey Vale’s good run of form continued when they travelled to Lockerbie and beat Mid-Annandale by three goals to nil. Steven Cooper put Vale ahead after a quarter of an hour’s play to give the New Abbey side a slender half time lead. Ben Irving and Dan Thom added a goal each in the final ten minutes of the match to give Vale a comfortable victory.

Creetown went down to Crichton by three goals to two after scoring first while Fleet Star went on to beat Nithsdale Wanderers by two goal to one after going behind to a Stewart Bennie goal only minutes before the half time break. With fifteen minutes left to play Kevin Jamieson found the net to level the match and Dale Milligan scored the winner in the final minute of the match to give Star a valuable three points.

Results; Saturday 14th February

South of Scotland League

Creetown 2 Crichton 3

Mid-Annandale 0 Abbey Vale 3

Nithsdale Wanderers 1 Fleet Star 2

St Cuthbert Wanderers 2 Heston Rovers 3

South SFA Regional Challenge Cup - Round 3

BSC Glasgow 4 Wigtown and Bladnoch 0

East Kilbride 4 Gretna 2008 2

Newton Stewart 0 Dalbeattie Star 6

Upper Annandale 1 Edusport Academy 3