Star shine in shoot-out

Newton Stewart's Liam Muir stands up to the challenge from Fleet Star's Kieran Durham
Newton Stewart's Liam Muir stands up to the challenge from Fleet Star's Kieran Durham
Share this article

In the seven matches played last Saturday in the South Regional Challenge Cup there were no fewer than 50 goals notched up, with all the Lowland League clubs going through to the second round.

The result of the day was at Blairmount Park where Fleet Star sealed their place in round two with victory over Newton Stewart.

The teams shared six goals over the regulation 90 minutes, with both scoring in extra time and Star winning the tie by scoring four penalties to Newton Stewart’s three.

Alisdair Mason put the visitors ahead in the 21st minute, with Liam Muir heading home at the back post from a Dean Thomson free kick 10 minutes later to level the match. With the home side dominating play, they took the lead a minute from the break when Muir scored his second.

Newton held their slender lead until the 84th minute when Dale McCutcheon found the net to square the match again. A minute later Gary Lord put Star ahead with a superb goal and, with time running out, substitute Calum Dunn scored an equaliser to send the contest into extra time.

There were no goals in the first period and with a penalty shoot-out looking likely a Dunn shot was deflected past keeper Shaun Hutchison by defender Robert Muir. Star were not to be denied, however, and with a minute left to play Muir made amends at the other end to ensure a shoot-out.

Star scored four penalties to Newton’s three, with keeper Hutchison making the save that mattered.

Dalbeattie Star recorded a 9-0 victory over Crichton at Hospital Park, with Sam Warren opening the scoring in the 12th minute before an own goal from Darren Johnston made it two. Paul Cook added a third to send the teams in at the break with the visitors holding a three-goal advantage.

Star went on a second-half goal spree by scoring another six, with Warren finding goal number four and then completing his hat-trick on the hour mark from the penalty spot after Hugh Cameron had been pulled down. Sean Hanlon scored a double and the rout was completed with a Cook header and a solo effort from Curtis Wilson.

East Kilbride are also through to the second round after beating Glasgow University by a solitary second-half goal scored by Kevin Wilson.

Gretna 2008 join them after defeating Heston Rovers 5-1 at Raydale Park. Sean Brannon opened the scoring when he put Gretna ahead after 16 minutes with a shot from the edge of the 18-yard box and 10 minutes later Joe Slattery doubled the home side’s scoreline.

Russell Jardine pulled a goal back with a volley from 18 yards in the 32nd minute but just on the half-time whistle Gretna restored their two-goal advantage when Sam Atkinson scored from 25 yards. It took the Raydale Park side until the 74th minute to find another goal through Brandon Longcake, with Lewis Todd seeing his side go nap a minute from time.

Heston manager Raymond Boyd said: “I thought Gretna were magnificent today with their style of play at times sublime. From our point of view, we had some decent spells and half chances but to concede just on half-time was a blow. Once they scored the fourth the game was over. Our boys worked hard but Gretna were the best on the day.”

Mid-Annandale were also hit by five goals without reply at Galabank by St Cuthbert Wanderers, who have hit a fine run of form recently.

Craig Rudd and Grant Middlemass gave the Kirkcudbright side a two-goal advantage at the break. In the second half the visitors went nap with the goals coming from Sebastian Taneggi, a penalty from Rudd and Raymond Gordon putting the icing on the cake with the fifth.

Nithsdale Wanderers saw off Abbey Vale in 3-1 victory at Sanquhar although the visitors did take the lead through Steven Couper in the 17th minute with a 25-yard shot. Brad Candlish levelled the match six minutes later to send the teams in at half-time all square.

In the 58th minute Roman Soltys gave Nithsdale the lead and with seven minutes left to play Kearney sealed victory although by this time Vale had been reduced to 10 men when Brolls was sent off in the 73rd minute for a second yellow card offence.

Threave Rovers beat Creetown 9-1 at Meadow Park, with the Creetown new management team of Hugh Robertson and Gary Holden making a return to their old haunts. There was to be no old boys act, though, with Threave starting the scoring after only 10 minutes through Stephen Degnam with Andrew Donley adding a second before Colin Kay found goal number three. Dean Fyfe scored the fourth on the hour mark with Degnam completing his hat-trick by converting two penalties. Greg Laurie added a seventh with Sean Milligan scoring near the end before Degnam scored his fourth and his side’s ninth. Creetown netted a consolation through Flannigan but it was very much Threave’s day as they marched into the second round.

South Regional Challenge Cup round one

Crichton 0 Dalbeattie Star 9

Glasgow University 0 East Kilbride 1

Gretna 2008 5 Heston Rovers 1

Lochar Thistle v Wigtown and Bladnoch – match postponed

Mid-Annandale 0 St Cuthbert Wanderers 5

Newton Stewart 4 Fleet Star 4 (aet – Fleet Star won 4-3 on penalties)

Nithsdale Wanderers 3 Abbey Vale 1

Threave Rovers 9 Creetown 1