Star are on the up

The match between Abbey Vale and Fleet Star was switched to be played last Friday evening and the end result was a well warranted victory for the Gatehouse side who in recent seasons have been the bottom placed Club in the South of Scotland League.

By The Newsroom
Thursday, 8th August 2013, 2:44 pm
Wigtown & Bladnoch v St Cuthbert Wanderers, Wigtown's Robert Jamieson gets up ended by Saint's Steven Brown & Finlay Thompson for a corner
Wigtown & Bladnoch v St Cuthbert Wanderers, Wigtown's Robert Jamieson gets up ended by Saint's Steven Brown & Finlay Thompson for a corner

Star have now played three league matches this season winning one, drawing one and losing the other against league favourites Wigtown and Bladnoch although they still equipped themselves well in that midweek match at Trammondford. Following a goalless first half at New Abbey Gavin Williamson broke the deadlock followed by a Dale McCutcheon long range effort which gave Star the three well deserved points.

There were four South of Scotland League matches played on Saturday with Wigtown and Bladnoch and Nithsdale carrying on in their winning ways.

Wigtown managed to beat St Cuthbert Wanderers by three goals to nil at Trammondford Park with the help of two own goals added to by a goal from Jamie McHarrie with fifteen minutes left to play. Russell Parker scored the first own goal after twenty minutes and following McHarries effort Saints Jim Kirk turned the ball into his own net before the end of the match.

Sign up to our daily The Galloway Gazette Today newsletter

Nithsdale Wanderers scored double figures against a young luckless Creetown who failed to find the net by recording ten goals.

Geoff Patterson put the Sanquhar side into the lead after thirty six minutes with Sean Cairney adding a second three minutes before the break. Russell Currie and Sean McHugh scored a goal each after the break but it was the Roman Soltys strikes that stole the show with the striker going nap and scoring five times to make the final tally ten goals to nil in favour of the home side.

League newcomers Lochar Thistle had taken full points from their first two matches but failed to complete their hat-trick by going down by two goals to one against Newton Stewart.

The Creesiders arrived in Dumfries for this match with a weakened squad through a variety of non-availabilities but managed to secure the three points in a hard fought game.

The visitors took the lead in the twenty third minute when Graeme Blain headed home from a Stevie Beggs corner on the right and with seven minutes to go to the break Lewis Dunn played in his brother Calum Dunn who beat the offside trap to round the keeper and fire from an acute angle into an empty net.

Two minutes later though Lochar were right back into the contest when they were awarded a penalty when Newton keeper Harry Fidler was adjudged to have brought down a Lochar player inside the box and Michael McGauchie made no mistake from the spot.

In the second half both teams had chances with the majority of them falling to the visitors but both defences stood firm and there were no more goals with the game ending two goals to one in favour of Newton Stewart.

There was another close encounter at Hospital Park in the local derby between Crichton and Heston Rovers with the home side coming out on top in a seven goal thriller.

However the visitors took the lead through a Grant Learmont twenty yard strike with Crichtons Mark Leighfield squaring the match in the seventeenth minute from the penalty spot following a hand ball.

Nine minutes later the home side took the lead when Leighfield scored with a header.

It only took Heston six minutes to level the match again when Stuart Douglas scored from close in and in the thirty seventh minute they restored their lead again when Alex Maxwell found the net following some good outfield work.

The visitors took their lead into the second half but seven minutes after the re-start Leighfield completed his hat-trick from six yards for the teams to draw level again.

The winning goal came in the sixty third minute again from the penalty spot with David Ruddick stepping up to score the goal that eventually secured the three points for the home side. Heston Rovers Manager Raymond Boyd said after the match;

“Today we showed the other side of our character, we didn’t dominate Crichton. We allowed them to cross the ball time and time again and put ourselves under pressure.

“We really needed to stop the the crosses or deal with them better.

“From three long balls we gave away two penalties and a headed goal from them. Our lads admitted they just didn’t press Crichton and gave them too much time but hopefully lessons will have been learned.”

Results from Friday 2nd August, 2013

South of Scotland League

Abbey Vale 0 Fleet Star 2

Results from Saturday 3rd August, 2013.

South of Scotland League

Crichton 4 Heston Rovers 3

Lochar Thistle 1 Newton Stewart 2

Nithsdale Wanderers 10 Creetown 0

Wigtown and Bladnoch 3 St Cuthbert Wanderers 0