South successes in Scottish Cup

Robert Landers comes under a bit of pressure from Nith's Callum Kilpatrick
Robert Landers comes under a bit of pressure from Nith's Callum Kilpatrick

There were four Galloway clubs involved in the first round of the William Hill Scottish Cup at the weekend.

Castle Douglas-based Threave Rovers, who now play in the new Scottish Lowland League, saw off Scottish Highland League side Rothes 3-0 at Meadow Park.

There were no goals in the first half but 10 minutes after the restart Stephen Degnam scored the opener and six minutes later doubled the scoreline with a header. Ten minutes from the end Gary Laurie scored for Rovers with a goal that ensured victory and a place in round two.

St Cuthbert Wanderers were also victorious in their match away to Hawick Royal Albert, with a goal from Grant Middlemas, scored on the half-hour mark, being the difference between the teams.

Wigtown and Bladnoch were four goals in arrears before they made a fightback to come within a single goal for a replay in their match against Buckie Thistle.

Buckie’s Lewis McKinnon opened the scoring with a header from a free kick after only four minutes, with Fraser Ford doubling the scoreline with a low shot 20 minutes later. In the 31st minute Chris Angus made it three from the edge of the 18-yard box to give the Highland League side a three-goal advantage at the break. Five minutes after the restart Jimmy Shewan looked to have put the game beyond the home side but, with 68 minutes played, Ian Millar gave Wigtown a lifeline with a goal from a free kick.

With five minutes left a Richard Jones shot was prodded home by Adam Dougan and, in stoppage time, Robert Jamieson fired into the roof of the net but it was all too little, too late for the home side as the game finished without them being rewarded for their superb late efforts.

Newton Stewart fought out a goalless draw against Fort William, also a Highland League opposition. This game had plenty of goalmouth incidents with both defences – and particularly the keepers – standing firm. Fort William’s best chance came early in the match when central defender Dean Thomson cleared a net bound ball off the goal-line with the keeper beaten, while Newton had two great chances, one from Liam Muir midway through the second half and another from a Martyn Henry header that was superbly saved.

Away from the glamour of the Scottish Cup, there were four matches in the South of Scotland League.

Creetown’s poor form continued when they were beaten 7-2 at Castle Cary Park by Nithsdale Wanderers.

Crichton and Abbey Vale shared the goals and the points in a 2-2 draw at Hospital Park, with Chris Mellon opening the scoring for Abbey Vale after 21 minutes from the penalty spot. A Mark Leighfield free kick levelled six minutes from the interval.

Gary Kerr of Crichton saw red in the 56th minute but Clark Chambers put the 10 men team ahead 20 minutes from time. With three minutes left Alan Clark squared once again to give his side a share of the points.

Fleet Star and Lochar played out a seven-goal thriller at Garries Park, Gatehouse, with the home side losing out. Lochar missed a penalty in the third minute but Ian Anderson put the visitors ahead before Nathan Thomson scored from a penalty in the 32nd minute to level.

Three minutes later Lochar’s lead was restored when William Dempster scored following a great solo run. Five minutes after the break, Lochar keeper Scott Porteous was red-carded, with Dempster taking over between the sticks and Thomson stepped up to score from the penalty spot.

Stand-in keeper Dempster was then also red-carded before Thomson completed his hat-trick for Star. On the hour mark Anderson put the game all square again before completing his hat-trick with the winning goal in the 74th minute.

At Galabank Heston Rovers were a goal up on Mid-Annandale after only 45 seconds when Russell Jardine scored from a Sean Kevan cross. With 11 minutes played Gary Tweedie doubled the scoreline with a header from a corner but seven minutes before the break Grant Schooler pulled a goal back. A minute later Jonathon Boyd went one on one with the Mids keeper but rolled the ball to Darren Brown who tapped into an empty net. Four minutes into the second half Heston went further ahead when Jardine found the bottom corner of the net from 18 yards with Kevan lobbing the keeper six minutes from time as the visitors went nap.

Heston Rovers manager Raymond Boyd said: “We had a dream start with two goals in 11 minutes. Again we played some superb pass and move football. Russell Jardine and Jonathon Boyd were magnificent today as their work rate was phenomenal. Pressing forward, holding up play and good passing ensured we kept possession. A good away victory so we are happy.”

Results from Saturday, September 14

William Hill Scottish Cup – First Round

Threave Rovers 3 Rothes 0

Hawick Royal Albert 0 St Cuthbert Wanderers 1

Wigtown and Bladnoch 3 Buckie Thistle 4

Fort William 0 Newton Stewart 0

South of Scotland League

Creetown 2 Nithsdale Wanderers 7

Crichton 2 Abbey Vale 2

Fleet Star 3 Lochar Thistle 4

Mid-Annandale 1 Heston Rovers 5