South sides in Cup glory

All the plaudits last weekend were for St Cuthbert Wanderers and Wigtown and Bladnoch who, along with Dalbeattie Star, booked their respective places in the round two draw of the William Hill Scottish Cup.

Saints had an outstanding 2-1 victory over Edinburgh University in the capital, with Ian Millar and Colin Carnochan giving the Kirkcudbright side a two-goal advantage by the interval. The home side came more into the match in the second half but it took an own goal from Saints’ Roddy Cooksley for the University side to find what proved to be only a consolation goal.

Wigtown and Bladnoch almost pulled off a sensational result in the Highlands against Huntly by also going two up by the break, with Robert Jamieson and Jamie McHarrie finding the net. The South of Scotland side, though, were denied a victory when Barry Somers scored a double for the Huntly which sees the two lining up again at Trammondford this Saturday in a bid to earn a place in the second round. This was still an outstanding result for Wigtown, who must now fancy their chances of victory on their home ground.

The shock of the day, however, was at Meadow Park where favourites Threave Rovers went down by a single goal to East of Scotland side Vale of Leithen.

The game was goal-less at the interval but three minutes after the restart some poor defending allowed a Wayne Sproule cross to find the head of Daniel Noon who thundered the ball past keeper Vinnie Park for the goal that proved to be the winner.

Following the match manager Davy McVittie resigned after being with the Castle Douglas side as a player and manager for 35 years. McVittie won six South League titles as manager of Threave and had decided to call it a day at the end of last season but was reappointed during the close season.

Newton Stewart were well beaten by Civil Service Strollers at Telford College Recreation Ground in Edinburgh with the home side scoring four goals without reply. The visitors did not perform at all well on the day and Strollers ran out deserved winners to book their second round place.

In the South of Scotland League, leaders Dalbeattie Star continued their winning ways with prolific goal-scorer Scott Milligan adding another four to his already impressive tally for the new season. Milligan scored a double in each half in Star’s match at Sanquhar against Nithsdale Wanderers, with Jak Dingwall adding a fifth.

Mid-Annandale also scored five goals at Galabank in their match against Creetown. Chris Norvel opened the scoring after ten 10 minutes with a header, with Robert Muir scoring an own goal three minutes later before being red-carded in the 16th minute for denying a player a scoring chance by fouling him. In the 29th minute, Darren Cowan scored Mids’ third goal with a 35-yard drive to give the home side a comfortable half-time lead. Five minutes after the restart an Ally Sloan cross found Carlos Crosbie for goal number four, and Norvel added his second and his side’s fifth from close in 20 minutes from time but was denied his hat-trick when the Creetown keeper saved his 90th-minute penalty kick.

Heston Rovers had an easy victory over Fleet Star at Garries Park with 7-0 victory. The Maryfield side opened the scoring after only eight minutes through Russell Jardine when he netted with a shot from eighteen 18 yards, with Sean Kevan doubling the scoreline with a header from a corner in the 29th minute. Five minutes later Gary Tweedie lobbed the home keeper from 25 yards and, in the 42nd minute, Jardine scored his second and completed his hat-trick with a header right on the half-time whistle.

Eleven minutes after the restart Jonathan Boyd added goal number six with a header, and Steven Walker completed the scoring with a low shot in the 65th minute.

Crichton found their winning ways again with a 4-2 victory over Abbey Vale, with Brodie Turner and Mark Leighfield giving the Hospital Park side a two-goal lead by the break. Gregg Swan added another before Vale’s latest signing, Islam Kadyrov, pulled one back to give the visitors some hope. With 15 minutes left Lee True found the net for Vale but when Leighfield was brought down in the box five minutes later Ross Milligan made no mistake from the spot to complete the scoring.

Results from Saturday, August 25

William Hill Scottish Cup – round one

Threave Rovers 0, Vale of Leithen 1

Huntly 2, Wigtown and Bladnoch 2

Edinburgh University 1, St Cuthbert Wanderers 2

Civil Service Strollers 4, Newton Stewart 0

South of Scotland League

Crichton 4, Abbey Vale 2

Fleet Star 0, Heston Rovers 7

Mid-Annandale 5, Creetown 0

Nithsdale Wanderers 0, Dalbeattie Star 5