South Scene roundup with John McNaught

The South Challenge Cup first round ties took place last weekend with the Newton Stewart versus Dalbeattie Star being played at Blairmount Park on Friday evening with a 7.30pm kick-off.

This was a good spectator match with the South of Scotland league leaders locking horns with the Lowland League side but when the visitors went ahead through Liam Park after only six minutes the writing looked to be on the wall for Newton.

Even more so when after half an hours play mid-fielderGraeme Blain received a red card for a heavy tackle but five minutes later prolific striker Robert Middleton struck when he received a through ball to stick it away across the Star keeper for an equaliser. Backs to the wall defending saw the Creesiders holding out to take the contest into a penalty shoot out which the they won by four goals to one to progress to Round two where they now meet the other south of Scotland Lowland League team, Threave Rovers at Blairmount Park.

There were two ties scheduled to be played on Saturday with Edusport Academy taking on Creetown at Hamilton in a match that the home started as strong favourites to progress and they did so in a five goals to nil romp at amisto Hamilton

Hamilton Palace while Crichton were entertaining Fleet Star in Dumfries.

Ross Newlands put the home side ahead after only five minutes play but striker Craig Rudd levelled the match two minutes later. Jamie Grieg and Rudd added another one apiece before the break but Crichton hit back just after the re-start with a goal from Luke Hammond. Rudd completed his hat-trick with a twenty five yarder before Grieg Campbell volleyed home a third for the home side. John McBeth then found an equaliser before Stars Scott Christie settled the match with the winner five minutes from the final whistle. Wigtown and Bladnoch missed out on the chance to go to the top of the South of Scotland League over rivals Newton Stewart when their game against Abbey Vale was postponed due to the pitch being flooded. Heston Rovers however got back on form when they hammered in thirteen goals against bottom placed Dumfries YMCA who could only manage a single goal as a consolation. There were hat-tricks from Russel Jardine and Malcolm Burgess to add to doubles from Frank McGee, Stuart Douglas and Kenneth Dinnell with Tom Smith scoring a single. In the match at Lockerbie between Mid-Annandale and Nithsdale Wanderers the home side took the three points with Andy White opening the scoring early in the match. Russell Curtiss equalised for Nithsdale Wanderers but a Sean Dunbar double sealed victory for the home side.

Result from Friday 5th December, 2014

South Challenge Cup – Round 1

Newton Stewart 1 Dalbeattie Star 1– Newton Stewart won 4-1 on penalties

Results from Saturday 6th December, 2014

South Challenge Cup – Round 1

Crichton 4 Fleet Star 5

Edusport Academy 5 Creetown 0

South of Scotland League

Abbey Vale v Wigtown and Bladnoch – Match postponed

Heston Rovers 13 Dumfries YMCA 1

Mid-Annandale 3 Nithsdale Wanderers 1

St Cuthbert Wanderers 7 Lochar Thistle 1