South Scene round-up

Smiles and congratulations from the Saints players after Dean Thomson opens the scoring. GG 2111075 11
Smiles and congratulations from the Saints players after Dean Thomson opens the scoring. GG 2111075 11

WET weather claimed two games in the south last weekend.

Results from Saturday, 19th November

Cree Lodge Cup First Round

Crichton v Heston Rovers -Match postponed

Cree Lodge Cup Second Round

Dalbeattie Star 3 Wigtown and Bladnoch 0

Haig Gordon Cup Second Round

Threave Rovers 2 Stranraer 1

Potts Cup First Round

Creetown v Nithsdale Wanderers - Match postponed

Mid-Annandale 5 Fleet Star 1

South of Scotland League

St Cuthbert Wanderers 3 Newton Stewart 1

The wet weather again claimed two matches last Saturday with the Cree Lodge Cup match between Crichton and Heston Rovers and the Potts Cup match between Creetown and Nithsdale Wanderers having to be postponed. The Cree Lodge Second round tie at Islecroft did go ahead though with Dalbeattie Star progressing to the semi-final stages of this particular competition having recorded a three goals to nil victory over Wigtown and Bladnoch. Following a goal-less first forty five minutes the deadlock was broken five minutes after the interval when Grant Parker scored from close in. Fifteen minutes later Parker doubled the scoreline and with seventy minutes played Scott Milligan completed the scoring from the penalty spot.

In the Haig Gordon Cup competition Threave Rovers are also through to the last four following a narrow two goals to one victory over Stranraer at Meadow Park. There were no goals in this match either in the first half but eight minutes into the second half Andrew Donely opened the scoring for the home side. On the hour mark both sides were reduced to ten men when Gavin Green for Threave and Richard Jones for Stranraer were red carded following an on field incident. The game then went into stalemate until two minutes from time when Schofield levelled the match at one goal each and with extra time looming a minute into time added on Scott Milby sent Threave through when he scored direct from a free kick.

The referee was reluctant to let the Potts Cup first round tie go ahead at Lockerbie where Mid-Annandale were entertaining Fleet Star but relented fifteen minutes before kick-off after the home Committee had carried out considerable work on the soggy pitch. This turned out to be good news for the home side when they ran out comfortable winners by five goals to one after going behind after only two minutes when John Frame scored for the visitors with a twenty five yard shot come cross which deceived the home keeper and ended up in the Mids net. The home side recovered though and the match was squared in the seventeenth minute through a Scott Martin header. In the twenty ninth minute Conner Murray put Mids ahead with a shot from an acute angle to give them a slender lead which they took into the half time break. It took the home side some time to increase their lead but with fifteen minutes left to play and the result still in the balance Nathan Muir was on hand close in to score Mids third goal. The game was secured seven minutes later when Chris Norvel scored in a break away as Star pushed to get back into the contest and substitute Carlos Crosbie went nap with a similar goal three minutes from the final whistle.

St Cuthbert Wanderers kept their title ambitions on track following an enduring ninety minutes play against Newton Stewart at St Marys Park with two late goals. In a very even match Saints took the lead in the eighteenth minute after Paul McClymont had been fouled about thirty yards out on the right. Defender Dean Thomson took the resultant free kick and placed the ball high over keeper Harry Fidlers head and into the top right hand corner of the net to give the home side a slender lead that they took into the break. On the hour mark Newtons efforts paid off when Stewart Taylor found Stevie Ross who fired the ball into the roof of the net from close in to square the match. Following some good pressure from the visitors Saints broke up field and won another free kick twelve minutes from the final whistle. This time the free kick was awarded on the edge of the box and again Thomson fired the ball past Fidler, this time at the keepers left side. Five minutes later with the visitors pushing for an equaliser the home side broke away and Colin Carnochan made no mistake from eighteen yards out with a fierce angled shot that crossed the keeper and found the net at the far post to give a relieved Saints a valuable three points.