South Scene - results from the pitches of Galloway

Abbey keeper Paul wells charges out ot meet this threat from Creetown's Ryan McKie but brings the striker crashing to the ground for a penalty which McKie converted in the 24th minute for a 2 goal lead. GG 1403060 11
Abbey keeper Paul wells charges out ot meet this threat from Creetown's Ryan McKie but brings the striker crashing to the ground for a penalty which McKie converted in the 24th minute for a 2 goal lead. GG 1403060 11

SOUTH of Scotland Football Results from 12.3.11

Potts Cup - Round Two

Mid-Annandale v Threave Rovers - Match postponed

South of Scotland League

Creetown 3 Abbey Vale 0

Crichton 2 Fleet Star 2

Heston Rovers v Wigtown and Bladnoch -Match postponed

Newton Stewart 3 Dalbeattie Star 3

Stranraer 0 St Cuthbert Wanderers 1

The only cup match scheduled to be played on Saturday was a Potts Cup round two match between Mid-Annandale and Threave Rovers but it did not take place due to the pitch at Lockerbie being unplayable. Another South of Scotland League match also became the latest victim of the weather when the Heston Rovers versus Wigtown and Bladnoch game due to be played at Maryfield was cancelled.

Championship challengers Dalbeattie Star, though, did play and retained their unbeaten record on Saturday against Newton Stewart in their match at Blairmount Park although they dropped two points in a match they were expected to win. Newton Stewart went into this match having lost their two previous home matches against bottom placed sides but the home side excelled themselves and showed their true potential to take a share of the points. Star took the lead though in the 32nd minute through Hugh Cameron with a glorious strike from the edge of the 18-yard box but failed to add to this and went in at the break holding the slim advantage.

The Creesiders came out for the second half with all guns blazing and within three minutes, Stewart Taylor had levelled the match following a goalmouth scramble which the usually solid Star defence failed to clear. In the 68th minute Scott Milligan restored Star’s lead with a free kick from 25 yards which he curled round Newton’s defensive wall. With 10 minutes left to play and Newton pressurising the visitor’s defence, striker Sean Taylor flicked the ball into the net from a Jamie McKie cross but within a minute Star went ahead again with a great swerving strike from 30 yards from Milligan.

The visitors seemed to have the points wrapped up until, deep into time added on, Sean Taylor gave his side a share of the points when he headed home a Willie Cloy corner to give the home side a well deserved share of the points against a team who up until this match had only lost five goals in total all season in league matches.

There was a very close encounter at Stair Park where St Cuthbert Wanderers ran out winners against Stranraer by a single goal which came in the 73rd minute from striker Craig Rudd. The three points were secured when Rudd chipped the home keeper to keep the Kirkcudbright side’s league title challenge on track with Stranraer ending the match with 10 men after Richard Jones was dismissed a minute from time.

Creetown had a convincing three goals to nil victory over Abbey Vale at Castle Cary Park with goals from Graham Irving, Chris Mellon and a Ryan McKie penalty. Crichton and Fleet Star fought out a two all draw at Hospital Park with striker Ian Quinn giving the home side the lead with a headed goal on the half hour mark.

Six minutes later Stewart Currie levelled the match with a 25-yard free kick to send the teams in at the break all square.

With 71 minutes on the clock, Kevin Jamieson put the visitors ahead following a mazy run which left several defenders in his wake to fire home from the edge of the 18-yard box. Clark Chambers saved the home side from defeat almost at the death when he levelled the match for a share of the points with another headed goal.

An exciting run in to the end of the season is guaranteed with the race for the South of Scotland league title now wide open with the three Stewartry Clubs, Threave Rovers, St Cuthbert Wanderers and Dalbeattie Star all in contention. The Islecroft side though are still the slight favourites with games in hand to present leaders Threave Rovers although the Meadow Park side will not relinquish their championship crown easily and with Saints also in the mix the destination of this season’s league title will not be decided for some time yet.