South Scene results

Share this article

RESULTS from 21 April.

Challenge Cup Round Two

Nithsdale Wanderers 2 Wigtown and Bladnoch 4

South of Scotland League

Fleet Star 2 Heston Rovers 5

Mid-Annandale 4 Crichton 2

Newton Stewart 2 Creetown 3

St Cuthbert Wanderers v Threave Rovers - match postponed

Stranraer 0 Dalbeattie Star 6

With the games coming thick and fast now as the South of Scotland football season draws to a close in the coming weeks.

Dalbeattie Star had a very good week, winning the Potts Cup midweek by beating local rivals Threave Rovers by two goals to nil and on Saturday came within two pòints off the top of the league when they defeated Stranraer by six goals to nil at Stair Park.

Doubles from Grant Parker and Scott Milligan added to singles from Lewis Sloan and Hugh Cameron means that if Star win their game in hand that they would go back to the top of the table ahead of Threave.

The result of the day however was at Blairmount Park where Creetown recorded their first league victory of the season with a three goals to two victory over neighbours Newton Stewart.

Chris Mellon opened the scoring for Creetown after seven minutes play with Graeme Blain levelling the match ten minutes before the break. Mellon added his second five minutes into teh second half with Alan McKie finding the net five minutes later before Calum Dunn drew one back for the home side to set up a fighting finish. Newton Stewart lost central defender Jason Gallacher who was red carded and Creetown held out for a deserved victory.

Mid Annandale had a very good four goals to two victory over Crichton at Lockerbie and were two goals to the good before Brodie Turner scored for the visitors twelvce minutes before the break. Twenty minutes after the restart Robbie Dodds restored Mids two goal advantage with a header from a corner before Mark Leighfield reduced the gap with a superb headed goal. Eight minutes from time Mids sealed the points with their fourth to take the three points. Goals from Moore, Tweedie, Kevan and Jardine gave Heston Rovers a flying start in their match against Fleet Star at Gatehouse and although goals from Jordan Brown and Terry McKie put Star back into teh match a second from Gary Tweedie ensured that the points went Hestons way. The St Cuthbert Wanderers versus Threave Rovers league match due to be played at St Marys Park was called off by the referee before kickoff because of a waterlogged pitch. Wigtowna nd Bladnoch are through to the third round of the Challenge Cup following their four goals to two victory over Nithsdale Wanderers at Sanquhar.