South Scene results

There was an abundance of goals to keep the spectators happy this week, with a total of 33 scored in the six matches.

A ding-dong battle at Islecroft saw Dalbeattie Star emerge as winners from their contest against Stewartry rivals Threave Rovers with Star running out winners by the odd goal in seven. Within 25 minutes, the home side went ahead 3-0, with Scott Milligan opening the scoring in the 10th minute. John McBeth followed two minutes later, before Milligan struck again. Jamie Struthers pulled one back four minutes later. Five minutes after the restart, Milligan completed his hat-trick with a header and 11 minutes later Andrew Donely scored for Threave from eight yards out. With 20 minutes left, Danny Dunglinson put the visitors right back into the match with his side’s third and, although Star were under constant pressure to the end, they held out take the three valuable points which leaves them only two points behind their Castle Douglas neighbours at the top of the table, with a game in hand.

St Cuthbert Wanderers had an easy 6-0 victory over Fleet Star at St Mary’s Park, Kirkcudbright, with Stevie Brown claiming a penalty and young defender Dean Thompson scoring a double. Brown scored in 11 minutes to break the deadlock and, seven minutes later, headed number two. In the 20th minute, Thompson scored with a volley following a corner to give Saints a 3-0 half-time advantage. In the 70th minute, Justin Nicholl scored with a 35-yard effort and, a minute later, Brown secured his hat-trick from the penalty spot. With 15 minutes left, Thompson converted a free kick from the edge of the box with a ferocious drive into the net as Saints hit Star for six.

Newton Stewart had a comfortable 3-0 victory over neighbours Creetown at Castle Cary Park. But for some poor finishing from the visitors, and some excellent goal-keeping from Creetown’s Martyn Roddie, the scoreline could have been much higher. The match was fairly even until the 21st minute, when Calum Dunn went on a great solo run which ended with the ball in the net. Newton’s Beggs came on to a real game after the restart, testing Roddie on a couple of occasions from free kicks but the keeper was equal to the efforts. In the 67th minute, though, Roddie could do nothing about a Dean Fyffe shot from 12 yards after being fed in by Beggs. With the game running into the final 15 minutes of play, Beggs was again the provider when he played a free kick on to the back post where substitute Andrew McEwan rose above the Creetown defence to head home.

There were eight goals in the match at New Abbey, where Abbey Vale beat off the efforts from Mid-Annandale in a 5-3 victory. Mids’ Carlos Crosbie scored after only one minute to give the visitors the best possible start, with Robert McCormick equalising nine minutes before the break. In the 62nd minute, McCormick put the home side ahead from the edge of the box and, three minutes later, Fraser Maxwell volleyed in from a corner kick. A minute later, Crosbie pulled one back for the visitors and, in the 69th minute, Fraser Brolls tapped in following another corner. With five minutes left, B J Fairhurst headed number five as Vale went nap, with Robbie Dodds scoring for Mids from a late free kick.

Wigtown and Bladnoch took a half-time lead through Ian Millar against Stranraer at Trammondford Park but two second half goals from Stair Park youngster Angus Cochrane, the second from the penalty spot, ensured the visitors took the three points.

Heston Rovers recorded an excellent 4-2 victory over neighbours Crichton at Maryfield to keep up their present good run of form. The game took half an hour to come to life when a Fraser Magee cross was met by Steve Walker and his header hit the inside of the Crichton post. Two minutes later, a Neil Surrock free kick was headed on by Walker into the path of Jonathan Boyd and his shot beat the trialist Crichton keeper.

Just after the break, a through ball from Ross Beattie to Boyd saw him run on to goal to lob the out-rushing keeper. In the 57th minute, Crichton’s Scott Richardson was red-carded for a last man challenge on Boyd but the visitors pulled a goal back on 73 minutes when Russell Thomson finished a neat cut-back. In the 78th minute, Heston’s Magee shot from 25 yards high into the net, restoring Heston’s two-goal advantage.

In the 81st minute, a fierce shot from Ryan McGill wasn’t dealt with by the Crichton keeper and Russell Jardine fired in the rebound.

Crichton’s Lee Schneider scored an 85th minute penalty after a hand ball incident and was then sent off for a second bookable offence.