South Scene

John McNaught

Results from Saturday, April 28.

League Cup Final

Dalbeattie Star 4, St Cuthbert Wanderers 1

South of Scotland League

Fleet Star 1, Threave Rovers 6

Crichton 3, Creetown 0

Newton Stewart 7, Abbey Vale 1

Nithsdale Wanderers 0, Stranraer 1

Wigtown and Bladnoch 4, Heston Rovers 5

Dalbeattie Star picked up there second piece of silverware of the season last Saturday when they beat off the challenge from St Cuthbert Wanderers by four goals to one at Islecroft. Top goalscorer Scott Milligan opened the scoring after eight minutes when he slotted the ball into the net but in the thirty seventh minute the match was all square when Dean Thomson fired home a free kick from twenty five yards out to send the teams in at the break all square. Chances fell at both ends but it took until the sixty sixth minute for the next goal to come and the sinner was Saints Jim Kirk who fouled Milligan in the box to give away a penalty kick. Milligan lined up to send the ball home from the spot to regain his sides one goal advantage. Ten minutes from time Craig Ferguson scored goal number three for the home side and four minutes later Grant Parker ensured lifting the silverware with a fourth.

There were five South of Scotland League Cup matches played at the weekend with Threave Rovers continuing to attempt to retain their League Championship as they vie with Dalbeattie Star for the top spot. The Castle Douglas team travelled the short distance to Gatehouse where they defeated Fleet Star by six goals to one with Sam Warren claiming a hat-trick. Martin Bell scored the first goal for the visitors after fifteen minutes but Star hit back on the half hour mark with Kevin Jamieson supplying the finishing touch. Sam Warren then scored his first which along with a Sean Milligan effort gave Threave a three goals to one advantage at the interval. Although Threave were reduced to ten men in the second half when Phil Middlemas saw red Warren added another two goals with Andrew Donely also scoring to give the Castle Douglas side a comfortable victory in the end.

Creetown recent revival came to an end at Hospital Park where they went down by three goals to nil to Crichton with Mark Leighfield, Lee Snieder and Brodie Turner scoring the goals for the home side while Nithsdale Wanderers lost out by a single goal to Stranraer at Lorimer Park, Sanquhar. There were goals galore in the other two matches played in Wigtownshire with Newton Stewart and Abbey Vale sharing eight at Blairmount while at Trammonford Park Wigtown and Bladnoch and Heston Rovers scored nine between them. While the contest at Trammondford went to the wire the match at Blairmount finished with the home side winning comfortably.

At Trammondford Park Robert Jamieson opened the scoring for the home side after twelve minutes with a low shot from twelve yards which found the corner of the net. A Jonathon Boyd header levelled the match six minutes later but within two minutes the home side were back in front through a Jamieson header. Wigtown went further ahead in the twenty fifth minute when Willie McMillan scored with a low drive but on the half hour mark Grant Learmont pulled one back for the visitors with a near post header to make the scoreline at the break three goals to two in favour of the home side. On the hour mark Heston substitute Stevie Walker cut the ball back to find Russell Jardine to level the match from twelve yards out. With play flowing from end to end Jamieson claimed his hat-trick when Heston keeper Keiron McCulloch failed to clear his lines with a punch with the ball falling to the Wigtown striker to put his side back in front. Heston pushed forward for an equaliser and in the seventy first minute were rewarded when Walker found the net with an overhead kick from eight yards. With the game heading towards the final whistle and a share of the points looking probable Sean Kevan found a winner for the visitors five minutes from time to land Heston with the three points from what by all accounts and as reflected in the scoreline, was a very good and entertaining match. At Blairmount Park the excitement may have been a bit curtailed compared with the Trammondford match but it was as every bit entertaining particularly for the spectators connected with Newton Stewart. Two goals from Robert Paisley and a single from Calum Dunn put the home side well in the driving seat by the half time break and another two second half goals from Paisley to give him his hat-trick added to singles from Dunn, Stewart Taylor and Johnathon Hill made it a very comfortable afternoon for the Creesiders. The only bit of brightness for Abbey Vale was that they found a consolation goal through Robert McCormack.