South Scene

A stunning save from Stranraer keeper Martin McCauley just before half time keeps Saints at bay. GG 1104016 11
A stunning save from Stranraer keeper Martin McCauley just before half time keeps Saints at bay. GG 1104016 11

WITH the race for the league title gathering pace, all three contenders won their respective matches on Saturday to keep up the challenge for this season’s main honour.

Results from 9th April, 2011.

South of Scotland League

Creetown 5 Crichton 4

Fleet Star 3 Nithsdale Wanderers 2

Heston Rovers 3 Wigtown and Bladnoch 0

Mid-Annandale 1 Dalbeattie Star 4

Newton Stewart 2 Threave Rovers 5

St Cuthbert Wanderers 3 Stranraer 2

Leaders Threave Rovers had top rely on a second half comeback to take the three points at Blairmount against Newton Stewart with the teams going in at the break all square on two goals each.

The home side opened the scoring in the first minute when Stewart Taylor turned the ball over the line at the near post following a good right wing surge and cross from Gary Smith. In the 12th minute Andrew Donely claimed the last touch from a corner kick on the left which deceived keeper Dale Leith to end up in the net.

Four minutes later Newton took the lead again when central defender Jason Gallaher headed home from a corner kick but the joy was short lived with the visitors levelling the match two minutes later when another corner kick deceived the home defence with the ball coming off Martin Henry and again ending up in the net to send the teams in at the break all square.

Threave came out for the second half looking determined to take the three points and eight minutes after the re-start Sam Warren almost put them ahead with a great free kick which found the cross bar. But in the 62nd minute they took the lead from the penalty spot with James Baty sending keeper Leith the wrong way. Two minutes later Donely headed Threave’s fourth and in the 70th minute Danny Dunglinson ensured the three points with a good volley from 18 yards out.

Stranraer put up a spirited challenge in their match against championship contenders St Cuthbert Wanderers at Kirkcudbright by going two goals up by the interval.

An Angus Cochrane double in the eighth and 33rd minutes gave Stranraer a two goal cushion at the break but Saints fought back in the second half with a Ross McCrindle brace in the first two minutes after the re-start. Twenty minutes from the end of the match, Adam Kaseem scored the all important winner to take the three points to keep Saints title ambitions on track.

Dalbeattie Star took the all important three points from their match against Mid-Annandale in a four goals to one victory at Lockerbie with their goals coming from an own by Robbie Dodds, a brace from Scott Milligan and a single from Gary Kerr with Scott Martin scoring Mids’ consolation goal.

Creetown had a good victory over Crichton at Castle Cary Park when they won by the odd goal in nine in a high scoring contest. Graham Irving with two goals, Robert Muir and Chris Melon with singles put the home side well ahead at the break with Crichton only managing a single. The visitors fought back to make the scoreline four each with the heroics of keeper Martin Roddie keeping it at that before Fraser Henderson found the winner for Creetown. Unfortunately Creetown finished the match with nine men when Andrew Houston and Alan Johnstone were red carded along with a Crichton player before the end of what was reported as being a very good match.

Fleet Star and Nithsdale Wanderers shared five goals to Garries Park with the home side coming out on top by the odd goal after going in at the break two goal behind. Paul Cairney opened the scoring after only fine minutes with a header from a free kick with Stuart Bell adding number two for the Sanquhar side on the half hour mark. Three minutes after the re-start, Jordan Brown scored from 15 yards out and with 15 minutes left to play Jordan Page slipped the ball under the Nithsdale keeper to level the match.

Two minutes later Davy McKie sealed the victory from the penalty spot with Stuart Bell being red carded for his involvement and almost immediately the sides were playing with 10 men each when Star’s Andy Gilston was sent for an early bath having received a second yellow card.

Heston Rovers kept up their recent good form with a three goal to nil victory over Wigtown and Bladnoch at Maryfield. The home side almost took the lead in the first minute when Wright beat three defenders but was thwarted by a good save from keeper Lightbody and the keeper came to the visitors’ rescue several times in the first half hour with Heston well on top.

The deadlock was broken in the 37th minute when Steve Millar drove home a 25-yard free kick to give Heston a narrow half time advantage.

In the 65th minute the home side extended their lead through Sean Kevan who scored from 10 yards out and nine minutes later Gordon Gibson sealed victory following some good work by Adamson and Wright.