Six of the best from Newton

Newton Stewart 6, Mid-Annandale 0

Contests between these teams are usually close but in this Cree Lodge Cup first round tie Mid-Annandale did not have any answer to the spirited form that Newton Stewart are enjoying.

The Creesiders took the game to the Lockerbie side from the start and tested keeper Ross Wilson with some telling efforts. The best came after five minutes from midfielder Johnny Fisher, who brought out the best in the Mids keeper who did well to save a superb strike.

It was inevitable that Newton would score with the domination they were having and the first goal came after 17 minutes when a mix-up in the visitors’ defence left the keeper stranded, allowing Calum Dunn to gain possession and fire across the goalmouth and into the far corner.

The visitors fought hard to contain the eager Newton forwards but the Creesiders kept pressurising and were rewarded in the 32nd minute when a corner on the left by Calum Dunn landed in the middle and was not cleared with Jason Gallacher cutting the the ball into Johnny Fisher to fire home number two with a half volley from the edge of the penalty box.

Four minutes later a Ryan McKie corner was met by Fisher but his headed effort just missed. In the 38th minute a determined solo run by Fisher resulted in him riding several tackles before tucking the ball into the net behind Wilson from 10 yards.

Four minutes from the break Newton went further ahead when Gallacher met a Dunn corner with his head to make the half-time score 4-0.

Six minutes after the restart Gallacher had a golden opportunity to score number five but the cross from McKie was taken from his head by the slightest of touches from the keeper with the goal at his mercy.

In the 58th minute Fisher fired in a fierce shot from 25 yards which the keeper failed to hold and, although Gallacher followed up to tap the ball home, he was adjudged to have been offside.

This was followed almost immediately with Wilson saving a Robert Middleton effort with his feet before Newton keeper Harry Fidler was tested six minutes later at the other end when he saved a Grant Schooler effort with his knees.

With 14 minutes left, a great solo effort from McKie led to him scoring number five as Newton went nap and, right on the final whistle, the same player headed home at the near post following a good run and well-placed cross from Lewis Dunn.

This was a very good performance from Newton Stewart, who have now scored 26 goals for the loss of three in their last four successive victories which augurs well for this weekend’s Scottish Cup trip to play Scottish Highland League side Fort William.