Selkirk 2-2 Dalbeattie Star

Dalbeattie Star celebrate (picture: Dalbeattie Star)
Dalbeattie Star celebrate (picture: Dalbeattie Star)

Dalbeattie Star’s unbeaten run continued after a point was gained in an entertaining encounter at Yarrow Park.

Both teams could possibly make a decent case for saying they should have won but a draw was just about right.

The home side had the better of the first half but in a pulsating second, Star came storming back.

Selkirk made a bright start and led when a fine corner was whipped in to the near post and Jordan Hopkinson found too much space to power a header past Ross Wilson.

The hosts continued to have the upper hand but Star played their way into the match without troubling Gregor Amos in goal.

At the other end, Ross Wilson produced two superb saves from Ross King and Sean McKirdy to keep the deficit at one.

Selkirk went in at the break ahead and within three minutes of the restart they almost doubled their lead when a great cross from Hopkinson found King but the Star defence scrambled the ball clear.

Minutes later Ricky Miller’s header from a corner smacked off the crossbar but then Star began to take control. Just before the hour they levelled.

Farrel O’Sullivan’s forceful run saw his crossfield pass find Park who hit a well struck shot from some 25 yards. Keeper Amos inexplicably decided to leave the ball thinking it was going wide but the ball flew inside the post.

The home keeper though didn’t allow this error to affect him and he was responsible for keeping his side in the match with a string of impressive saves.

Star turned the game on its head when Milligan found the back of the net and it was with a truly class finish.

The visitors began to turn the screw and Sloan’s 20 yard free kick came back off the bar with Amos beaten and soon after the home side were fortunate not to be reduced to ten men when substitute Josh Davidson kicked Greig Thorburn right in front of the assistant but all he received was a ticking off.

O’Sullivan was next to call Amos into action but with 15 minutes left the home side levelled. A good run and cross down the left found Baxter in the centre and he gave Wilson no chance at all with a powerful header.