Saints now one point from south league title

editorial image

Champions elect St Cuthbert Wanderers are now only one point away from securing this season’s south of Scotland league title after beating Lochar Thistle 4-1 last Saturday.

However it took the Kirkcudbrightshire side to within a minute from the interval to break the deadlock with a goal from Scott Milligan.

Two minutes after the restart saints doubled their lead when Philip middlemass found the net with Sam warren making it three from the penalty spot in the seventieth minute.

Andrew Donley made sure of the points with a fourth five minutes later with Ryan Coates finding a consolation goal for Lochar five minutes from time.

Heston Rovers went nap in their match at Gatehouse against Fleet Star with Russell Jardine scoring four of the goals.

Jardine put Heston ahead in the first minute with a header that gave the visitors a lead that they held into the half time break.

In the 53rd minute Tom Smith scored a second that was followed by another headed goal from Jardine who completed his hat trick with a shot before scoring his side’s fourth with a tap in two minutes from the end of the match.

As expected the match at Lockerbie where Mid Annandale played hosts to Crichton was a close encounter which ended in 1-1 stalemate. BobbyGreen scored first for the visitors with Andy White levelling the contest to give both teams a share of the points.

The game at Sanquhar ended in a narrow victory for the home side in a five goal encounter in their match against Newton Stewart.

Due to a vehicle breakdown Newton started the match with seven players and were behind within 45 seconds but rallied when the full team took the field although they couldn’t help Nithsdale taking a two goal lead by the break.

The visitors enjoyed some good possession although rode their luck at the back with the home side squandering some good goal scoring chances but Scott Whannell brought them back into the match early into the second half. Nithsdale restored their two goal advantage before midfielder Johnny Fisher gave the Creesiders a fighting chance but they couldn’t find the net again and Nithsdale added the three points to their tally.

Upper Annandale also recorded a very good victory over Wigtown and Bladnoch in another 3-2 victory.