Rovers grab cup with late penalty

Tweedie Cup winners, Threave Rovers. GG1705013 12
Tweedie Cup winners, Threave Rovers. GG1705013 12

Threave Rovers 1, Newton Stewart 0

John McNaught at Meadow Park

This final, being replayed after being abandoned last Wednesday because of the severe weather, was a case of near yet so far for a plucky Newton Stewart side against their experienced opponents. The visitors were left ruing missed chances which cost them success. It took a penalty award in extra time for the home side to take their second piece of silverware in as many weeks.

Newton keeper Harry Fidler was called into action early on but made some good stops. In fact, Threave had the ball in the net in the seventh minute from a corner but the keeper had been impeded and the goal was disallowed. In an even match the home side had the majority of the scoring chances but were paying the price by failing to find the net.

Threave came out in the second half with all guns blazing but they too missed chances although they were finding the Newton rearguard hard to break down.

As the end of 90 minutes approached Newton’s Lewis Richardson headed a net-bound effort from striker Andrew Donely off his line and a Philip MIddlemass strike almost deceived Fidler but, fortunately for the visitors, the ball struck his body and went for a corner. The Creesiders were making chances as well but failed to cash in with Rovers keeper Vinnie Parker having an outstanding game and being named as man of the match.

In extra time Newton substitute Andrew McEwan used his speed make some good scoring positions but Parker denied him on several occasions and, in the 111th minute, Threave found what proved to be the winning goal.

Substitute and player/manager David Hyslop gave away a penalty with a rash tackle inside the box which Scott Wilby sent right down the middle past a helpless Fidler.

In what was never a dirty game, Netwon had seven players booked, costing them as they enterted the final minutes of the match with Johnny Fisher and Dean Fyfe receiving second cards and dismissal. The first 90 minutes, though, was a tremendous advert for South football and in the end the result could have gone either way. Threave now move to tomorrow’s Haig Gordon Cup final against Dalbeattie Star.

Newton Stewart defender Martin Walsh had an oustanding game and was Newton’s man of the match. He is wished all the very best for his future as he now heads off to New Zealand.