Rovers edge out Wigtown in cup

Quick thinking from Creetown keeper Calum Murray stopped the charge from Wigtown ending in a goal. SGGY 170314 28
Quick thinking from Creetown keeper Calum Murray stopped the charge from Wigtown ending in a goal. SGGY 170314 28

Heston Rovers beat Wigtown and Bladnoch 2-1 in the second round of the Cree Lodge Cup at Palmerston Park on Tuesday night.

Following an even first half, in which good goalkeeping kept the tie scoreless, Heston took the lead after 59 minutes when Sean Kevan was fouled in the box and was awarded a penalty. Craig Adamson’s effort was saved but he converted the rebound.

In the 76th minute, a Stevie Walker cutback to Russell Jardine saw the home side double their lead but, in the fourth minute of time added on, Richard Jones scored the goal of the game from 25 yards. However, it was too little, too late and Heston held out to go into the semi-finals.

Heston coach Raymond Boyd said: “We played some magnificent football in spells. Our attitude from the off was superb.

“We know Wigtown are a very good side so we matched them up formation wise and didn’t let them settle and pick out passes. They put us under pressure for a spell but I thought our lads defended well and also I’d put that performance down as one of our best for some time.”

Eight teams played last Saturday for a place in this season’s SFA Regional Cup (South) semi-finals.

The two Dumfries and Galloway Lowland League teams hoped to make it through but Threave Rovers were beaten by East of Scotland Premier League side Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale.

It was expected that this match would be close and that’s exactly what happened, with Sam Winge opening the scoring after six minutes for the home side and Greig Goodwin levelling a minute later. Five minutes from time Thistle scored the match winner when Scott Moffat found the net.

Dalbeattie Star lined up against a strong Preston Athletic side and came away with a 5-0 victory.

Star led at half-time by two goals through Hugh Cameron and Lewis Sloan, with Sloan completing his hat-trick in the second half and Sam Warren adding a fifth as the Dalbeattie side went nap to secure a semi-final place against Spartans, who beat Nithsdale Wanderers 7-1 at Sanquhar.

In the other tie Lowland League sides East Kilbride and Stirling University fought it out with extra time being required to see the home side through by the odd goal in three.

There were also four South of Scotland League matches, three of which could well have a bearing on this season’s championship.

Wigtown and Bladnoch appeared to have the easiest of the tasks when they hosted bottom placed Creetown at Trammondford Park for a contest they won comfortably 6-1.

Two goals from Dean Agnew gave them a two-goal cushion at the break, with Agnew completing his hat-trick in the second half. Michael Donnely, Ian Millar and Jamie McHarrie completed the scoring to see Wigtown coast to an easy victory.

Leaders Newton Stewart, who have topped the table since the beginning of the year, could not see off the challenge of Lochar Thistle and were held to a 1-1 draw at Blairmount Park.

St Cuthbert Wanderers entertained Crichton, and recorded a 3-0 victory to keep up their challenge. Goals from Grant Middlemass, Craig Rudd and Jack McMurdo ensured the three points.

The other match was at Palmerston Park where Fleet Star were the visitors for a match the home side were expected to win but had to be content with a share of the points in a 3-3 draw.

Result from Tuesday, March 18

Cree Lodge Cup second round

Heston Rovers 2 Wigtown and Bladnoch 1

Results from Saturday, March 15

SFA Regional Cup (South) Quarter Finals

Lothian Thistle 2 Threave Rovers 1

Preston Athletic 0 Dalbeattie Star 5

Nithsdale Wanderers 1 Spartans 7

East Kilbride 2 Stirling University 1 (after extra time)

South of Scotland League

All kick-off at 3pm

Heston Rovers 3 Fleet Star 3

Newton Stewart 1 Lochar Thistle 1

St Cuthbert Wanderers 3 Crichton 0

Wigtown and Bladnoch 6 Creetown 1