Plenty of goals in the South

South Scene by John McNaught.

Results from Saturday 15th September

South of Scotland League

Abbey Vale 2 Mid-Annandale 1

Creetown 0 Dalbeattie Star 5

Newton Stewart 4 Heston Rovers 3

Nithsdale Wanderers 1 Threave Rovers 3

St Cuthbert Wanderers 9 Fleet Star 0

Wigtown and Bladnoch 1 Crichton 0

The matches in the South last Saturday were all in the South of Scotland League with Champions and present league leaders Dalbeattie Star travelling to Castle Cary Park to play Creetown.

The Stewartry side were never in any danger of losing this contest and when Hugh Cameron and Curtis Wilson scored within a three minute period in the seventeenth and twentieth minutes, the writing was on the wall for the home side who went into the break two goals down.

In the second half goals from Grant Parker, Struan Parker and Paul Cook saw Star going nap with all their goals coming from five different players.

Newton Stewart and Heston Rovers locked horns at Blairmount Park for a contest that could have gone either way. Matches between these two sides are usually close-run affairs and this time around that was just the case with the teams sharing seven goals and the home side holding the single goal advantage. The Creesiders though were three goals to the good at the interval through a Calum Dunn double and a single from Martin Henry. Heston fought back in the second half though with an own goal, giving the visitors hope followed by a strike from Kearney. Mickey Sutherland then gave the home side a two-goal cushion and although Heston drew another back through Moore seven minutes from time, they could not find an equaliser and Newton won the three points.

Following a goal-less first half, Abbey Vale managed to beat visitors Mid-Annandale by the odd goal in three. An own-goal in the sixty third minute by Fraser Maxwell gave Mids the lead but the home side fought back in the seventy fifth minute when striker Clark Chambers - who saw a first half chance hitting the woodwork - beat the advancing Mids keeper Ross Wilson to toe the ball past him and into the net.

With the game looking like ending all square, the goal of the match won the points when defender Finlay Thomson started a move which he finished after playing some good passing football when he rifled the ball home.

A Davy Kennedy goal for Nithsdale Wanderers was countered by three from visitors Threave Rovers at Sanquhar while a Robert Jamieson strike in the twenty fifth minute was enough to give Wigtown and Bladnoch the points against Crichton at Trammondford to keep them in a challenging position in the table.

Fleet Star were once again on the receiving end of a goal rout at St Mary’s Par when St Cuthbert Wanderers beat the Gatehouse side by nine goals to nil. Davy McKie scored the first goal after nine minutes of play followed two minutes later with a screamer from Dean Thomson who hammered home following a poor defensive clearance from a corner. Ben Irvine scored a double along with singles from Justin Nichol and Craig Rudd to put the home side six goals in front by the break. Irvine added another two in the second half with Ian Millar scoring from the penalty spot to complete the scoring.