On track for superlap success

Martyn Henry in action'photo credit - Flat Out Motorsport Photography
Martyn Henry in action'photo credit - Flat Out Motorsport Photography

In last month’s Galloway gazette we featured Martyn Henry from Newton Stewart who had built his own racing car to take part in Superlap Scotland.

This week Martyn gives us an update on his progress in the event.

Martyn reports: “May 23rd and 24th saw rounds two and three of Superlap Scotland at Knockhill.

“I was a bit nervous about round two as it was going anti-clock wise round the track which I had never done before and was now up a class as the car was now running more power and the classes are determined in power to weight ratio.

“Things weren’t going to plan after a boost pipe came of after just four laps, making me miss the rest of the warm up session and pretty much the practice session too. I went out to qualify, but only got two laps in before the boost pipe came off again but we got it fixed for the final. The thing about SLS is that it all comes down to a single timed lap in the final so, despite everything, I pulled out a time to get third place,

“Round three on the Sunday was in the normal direction so was more confident, especially after the previous days result. All was going well through the day with no problems until qualifying when the car started not handling very well. We found the front tyres were done in but as I didn’t have any spare, we opted to put them on the rear for the final and the better ones on the front for better drive. By the first corner in the final I realised this wasn’t the best decision, completely lost the rear of the car and ended up off the track, but was soon back on again and managed to get fifth.

“The next weekend came round quickly and the car was loaded up again for the long trip to Norfolk for round two of the MSA UK Time Attack at Snetterton. It was a very wet and slippy start to the day and I had never driven on a wet track, but surprisingly, in the warm-up I pulled out a lap three seconds quicker than anyone else in the class. The practice session was up next and, with a fairly big off damaging the rear suspension and a wheel after only four laps, I thought my day was over. But by the end of the session I was still lying second on time.

“The team worked well and got the car back in one piece, it wasn’t perfect but it got me back out for qualifying, handling was really bad and didn’t qualify well, and with a drying track I only had three dry wheels, as we had to change the tyre on one to replace the damaged wet, so, with only 10 minutes till the final, we decided to just put two dry tyres on the front. I went out and gave it my best and we came in third, but then found out the second placed driver got a penalty, so we finished second.

“I couldn’t do any of this without the help of my sponsors, D Inglis and Son, Ross Doyle Joinery, Jason Little, Reid’s Accident Repair Centre, and Young Plant Sales.

“Now I just need to get a the car repaired for round three of time attack on May 21 at Brands Hatch.”