Newton Stewart fined £1000 after match cancelled

Newton Stewart have been fined £1000 and deducted six points as punishment for their no show at Abbey Vale last week.

They will also have to pay various expenses occurred on the day. The south executive committee met on Wednesday night to decided the Machars club’s punishment. Newton Stewart have the right to appeal the decision.

The match at Abbey Vale was called off on Saturday with the visitors not managing to muster a team through injuries and call offs.

Players cannot be signed or play as trialists after 31st March each season which meant that the match had to be called off through a shortage of available players.

However the other matches did go ahead with league leaders Wigtown and Bladnoch failing to find the net against Upper Annandale at Trammondford as they fought out a goalless draw against the Moffat side.

Dumfries YMCA managed to score against visitors Crichton in a Dumfries derby match but a Clarke Chambers hat-trick helped Crichton to hit the net five times to take the three points.

There was another derby match at Gatehouse this time a Stewartry one, where Fleet Star played hosts to neighbours St Cuthbert Wanderers with the home side going two in front to give them a half time lead with Kevin Jamieson and Josh Maxwell from the penalty spot scoring the goals.

Star keeper Sean Hutchison saved a penalty against his old team when he prevented Roman Soltys from scoring from the spot with Saints’ John Kiltie being red carded a minute a from the half time whistle. Saints however came out fighting with Jac Cadwell and Roman Soltys scoring within 15 minutes after the re-start. Dean Thomson and a Soltys second secured victory for the Kirkcudbright side which keeps them up among the challenging teams behind leaders Wigtown.

Lochar Thistle recorded a good 1-0 victory over Edusport Academy at Maxwelltown High School with Mike McGauchie scoring the vital goal from a Gary Tweedie cross although Edu finished the match with ten men.

Mid-Annandale finished their league campaign with another 3-1 victory after recording the same score against Newton Stewart in mid-week. This time their opponents were Heston Rovers and although Mids’ prolific scorer Nathan Muir was sent off five minutes before the break, the Lockerbie team came back from being a goal behind through Malcolm Burgess to equalise after 26 minutes when Joe Elliot found the net. Mid went on to score twice in the second half with Sean Dunbar and youngster Calum Smith finding the net to end Mids league season on a high.

Nithsdale Wanderers recorded the same scoreline against Creetown at Sanquhar in a 3-1 victory.

Results from Saturday 11th April, 2015

South of Scotland League

Abbey Vale v Newton Stewart –Match postponed

Dumfries YMCA 1 Crichton 5

Fleet Star 2 St Cuthbert Wanderers 4

Lochar Thistle 1 Edusport Academy 0

Mid-Annandale 3 Heston Rovers 1

Nithsdale Wanderers 3 Creetown 1

Wigtown and Bladnoch 0 Upper Annandale 0

Tuesday 14th April, 2015

South of Scotland League

Creetown 1 Wigtown and Bladnoch 5

Newton Stewart 2 Fleet Star 4

Upper-Annandale 1 Lochar Thistle 2

Tweedie Cup Round 2

Abbey Vale 1 Heston Rovers 0