Newton snatch late win

Newton's Michael Wilson climbs highest to clear this ball
Newton's Michael Wilson climbs highest to clear this ball
Share this article

Newton Stewart 4, Mid-Annandale 3

Games between these two sides are never dull and this one was no exception.

There were seven goals shared between the teams with the home side coming out on top with a strike in the 93rd minute after time had been added on for a injury treatment to Mids keeper Ross Wilson.

The first exchanges were very even, with both teams now accustomed to the synthetic 3G pitches.

With 10 minutes played, Newton came close when an effort from Johnny Fisher scraped the wrong side of the upright. A minute later keeper Wilson had to be alert to save a header from the same player but in the 14th minute a corner on the left was taken by Conor Murray, who found Bryce Wilson at the back post to open the scoring.

Ten minutes later a Graeme Blain effort could have levelled the match but his shot found the base of the upright and the danger was cleared.

On the half-hour mark Wilson was again Mids saviour with a good stop from Jason Gallacher although the big striker would have the last laugh, finishing the game with a hat-trick.

The keeper, though, was having an excellent game as he always seems to do against Newton Stewart and in the 39th minute Newton were two behind when Sean Dunbar found the net following a corner kick on the left.

Newton Stewart, however, fought back a minute before the break when a Ryan McKie corner kick on the right found the head of Gallacher to nod home to reduce the deficit to one.

Nine minutes after the restart there was a bit of controversy when Micky Wilson seemed to have been awarded a penalty but was adjudged to have been offside before the infringement.

In the 63rd minute Fisher was again denied by keeper Wilson but two minutes later Gallacher grabbed his second, again with a header from a ball delivered into the middle by central defender Dean Thomson.

With 74 minutes played the home side took the lead when again a great cross from McKie was headed behind the keeper by Gallacher for what was the best goal of his three.

With eight minutes left to play a defensive lapse allowed Grant Schooler to tee up a shot from all of 25 yards which flew past a stranded keeper Harry Fidler for what was another good strike and squared the match once again.

With time running out, substitute Alex Walker collected the ball on the left and went on a solo run which ended up with him scoring the winner to take the three points for Newton Stewart.

This match was a very good advert for South of Scotland football and played out in a competitive but sporting manner by all concerned.