Newton lash eight past Creetown

A bit off close ball control from Wigtown's Robert Jamieson to hold off Fleet's James Picken
A bit off close ball control from Wigtown's Robert Jamieson to hold off Fleet's James Picken

Newton Stewart recorded the highest score of the day as they rattled in eight goals against Creetown.

The home side replied with just a single in the only South of Scotland League match played on Saturday.

The visitors got off to a great start with an early goal after five minutes following a Calum Dunn solo run. A minute later Johnny Fisher doubled the scoreline with a header and in the 20th minute Creetown were reduced to 10 men when Robert Hughan received a second yellow and a free kick was awarded.

Lewis Dunn scored goal number three after the ball broke to him from the resultant free kick and, two minutes from the half-time whistle, Lewis Dunn lobbed keeper Martyn Roddie, with Jason Gallacher making sure at the back post. A minute later Graham Irving outjumped the Newton defence to head home from a corner.

A minute after the restart Calum Dunn drove home goal number five from a free kick 20 yards out. In the 50th minute a back post header saw Gallacher add the sixth goal, with Calum Dunn completing his hat-trick and substitute Robert Middleton scoring the eighth before the final whistle.

This victory puts the Creesiders up into third spot in the league on goal difference behind St Cuthbert Wanderers and Nithsdale Wanderers, with Wigtown and Bladnoch on the same points tally but having played two games fewer.

There were four Tweedie Cup first round ties played.

Crichton recorded a comfortable 5-0 victory over Abbey Vale at Hospital Park.

St Cuthbert Wanderers and Lochar Thistle fought out a close battle at St Mary’s Park, with the home side progressing to round two by the odd goal in three, with the winner coming within minutes of the end of the match.

Roman Soltys put Nithsdale two ahead by the break in their match at Maxwelltown High School against Lochar Thistle with goals in the 23rd and 29th minutes. After an hour Keiron Krouse drew a goal back for the home side and, with 15 minutes left to play, William Dempster levelled the match from the penalty spot.

In a penalty shoot-out, the Sanquhar side came out on top by seven strikes to six to go through to the second round of this competition.

Wigtown and Bladnoch joined them with a 6-0 victory over Fleet Star at Trammondford Park. First-half goals from Adam Dougan, James McHarrie and Robert Jamieson gave the home side a three-goal advantage at the interval, with McHarrie and Jamieson adding one each after the restart and Dean Agnew putting the icing on the cake as Star were knocked for six.

Results from Saturday, January 11

South of Scotland League

Creetown 1 Newton Stewart 8

Tweedie Cup first round

Crichton 5 Abbey Vale 0

Lochar Thistle 2 Nithsdale Wanderers 2 (Nithsdale won 7-6 on penalties)

ST Cuthbert Wanderers 2 Heston Rovers 1

Wigtown and Bladnoch 6 Fleet Star 0