Midweek round-up

Creetown v Wigtown, Creetown's No.10 Robert Middleton tries his luck from long range.
Creetown v Wigtown, Creetown's No.10 Robert Middleton tries his luck from long range.

Results from Wednesday 24 April.

South of Scotland League

Creetown 1 Wigtown and Bladnoch 2

Crichton 1 St Cuthbert Wanderers 2

Heston Rovers 2 Threave Rovers 1

Potts Cup – Semi-Final

Newton Stewart 1 Dalbeattie Star 0

The results from Wednesday evening’s matches were all close with some of the more favoured teams being beaten in respective matches. League leaders Dalbeattie Star went down by a single goal to Newton Stewart at Blairmount Park in the semi final of the Potts Cup which sees the Creesiders through to this particular final having lost out narrowly to Wigtown on Monday night in the semi final of the Haig Gordon Cup.

The home side more than matched their more fancied visitors for most of the first half and fully deserved their half time draw. Two minutes into the second half, Newton were awarded a free kick 25 yards from goal on the right and free kick specialist Steven Beggs lined up a left foot effort which beat keeper Alister Cathro at his far post for a goal that proved to the winner. Newton defended well throughout and although Star had many chances - especially near the end of the match - the home side played as a team and although losing Martyn Henry to two yellow cards ran out worthy winners with the best of the clear goal scoring chances falling to them.

Wigtown and Bladnoch continued their good run of form with a slender two goals to one victory over Creetown with Jamie McHarrie scoring both their goals while Crichton and St Cuthbert Wanderers played out another evenly matched contest at Hospital Park with the visitors also winning by two goals to one. Following a goal-less first half, Saints went ahead a minute after the break when a deflected shot from Ryan McKie found the net. A Russell Thompson header on the hour mark from a Greig Swan cross saw the match being squared but three minutes from time a Justin Nichol goal from close in saw the points going the way of the Kirkcudbright side. Threave Rovers suffered a defeat that could see Dalbeattie Star again as champions when they were beaten by tow goals to one by Heston Rovers. The home side went ahead after 26 minutes when Steve Walker headed into the net from a Craig Adamson cross to give give Heston a slender half time lead. Two minutes after the re-start, a Paul Gray pass split the Threave defence and Russell Jardine beat the offside trap to score from 20 yards to make it two nil. Scott Wilby pulled a goal back for Threave in the 53rd minute after a foul on James Baty in the penalty box. There were no more goals but the visitors were reduced to ten men when Grant Watson was sent off.