League Cup derby goes close

A bit of a clumsy challenge by Newton's No.5 Scott Forrester on Creetown's No.9 Stephen Ross
A bit of a clumsy challenge by Newton's No.5 Scott Forrester on Creetown's No.9 Stephen Ross

Last Saturday saw Wigtown and Bladnoch maintain their lead at the top of the South of Scotland league table at the halfway stage.

Wigtown took the three points in a 2-0 victory over Lochar Thistle in Dumfries with two second half goals through Mark Whorlow in the 67th minute and ten minutes later the points were sealed when Richard Jones volleyed home from 25 yards.

This leaves Wigtown still unbeaten in the league with 37 points from 13 games with Edusport in second place on the 29 point mark having played 11 matches.

In the quarter finals of the South of Scotland League Cup Newton Stewart and Creetown fought out a close contest at Castle Cary park with the visitors progressing to the semi finals by virtue of a two goals to one victory.

The home side took the lead in the 40th minute when Ross Landers found the net but just on the half time whistle Rory Drysdale popped up with an equaliser for Newton.

Three minutes into the second half following a good buildup Ryan Holmes was on hand to score the goal that proved to be the winner. The Creesiders will now play Heston Rovers in the semi final of the League Cup on Saturday 19th November at Blairmount Park.

Heston Rovers cruised past Abbey Vale at New Abbey when they went nap. Four first half goals ensured a comfortable victory for the Palmerston Park side. Mid Annandale recorded the same score line in their match against Dumfries YMCA at Lockerbie with Dean Smith finding the net twice before the break to add to a single from Luke Hammond. Mids who will now meet Threave rovers at Lockerbie on Saturday 19th November for a place in the final.

Threave found a good turn of form to see off the challenge of neighbours St Cuthbert Wanderers at Kirkcudbright when they beat their local rivals 4-2.

Ben Irving, Connor Liddell, Ally Barnes and Dale Milligan were on the mark for the Castle Douglas side as they overcame Saints to progress into the semi final stage of this particular competition.

In the league there was a nine goal battle for points at Sanquhar where the visitors Lochmaben record a 5-4 victory over their hosts Nithsdale Wanderers having been behind 4-1 at one stage in the second half. Four goals from Darren Johnstone and a single by debut boy Tom Emmerson was enough for the Burgh side to secure the three points but they have keeper Craig Scobie to thank for his contribution of a penalty save to add to some other fine goal keeping to keep Nithsdale from adding to their account.

Upper Annandale found Edusport too much for them at Moffat when the second placed side romped home 6-2.