Last kick of game denies Stewartry

Stewartry 17

Paisley 18

It was a jubilant Paisley team and supporters that headed back up the road after their first visit to Greenlaw since 1992 and after the narrowest of wins.

The last kick of the game - a drop goal - gave Paisley the match winning points.

Stewartry kicked off in perfect overhead conditions even if the pitch was on the heavy side from the previous day’s snow and rain.

Six minutes in Stewartry lost wing forward McCulloch to a rib injury to be replaced by Henderson. The first scrum was a sign of things to come as Stewartry were penalised and they followed up by losing the next against the head. On 16 minutes and the Paisley prop broke free from the halfway line to out run the Stewartry players and score at the posts to the delight of the vocal Paisley support. The full back added the conversion.

Paisley kept the pressure on and Porteous stole a lineout for Stewartry to ease the pressure. Paisley went further ahead on 20 minutes with a penalty from the fullback. Paisley continued to take the game into the Stewartry half with some big hits as Stewartry struggled to get into the game.

Stewartry lost Fenwick to a yellow card for ten minutes but just before half time Boyd, Fingland and Muir gave Farquhar a scoring chance. Mosey added the conversion on the whistle. Half time 10-7 to Paisley.

Stewartry coach John Muir gave the Stewartry squad a taste of the Alex Ferguson hair-dryer treatment after their very poor first half performance and was rewarded with a sprightly start when within two minutes Henderson had won a lineout ten metres from the Paisley line and drove over with the forwards for a try.

Mosey converted his third kick of the day to put Stewartry ahead for the first time. Paisley recovered from the shock and were soon putting Stewartry under pressure. Ten minutes later Stewartry added another Mosey kick from a penalty.

Stewartry backs changed their tactics and the replacements started kicking away possession much to Paisley’s delight as they ran every ball back at Stewartry. With heavy rain starting with 15 minutes left blowing into the Stewartry faces pushing them further back and only a Wallace tackle on the line stopped Paisley from scoring.

With seven minutes left the Paisley pressure paid off with a score in the corner. The conversion failed. Paisley’s tails were up and they went for the winning score. A couple of scrums against the head kept the game in the Stewartry 22 with the Paisley forwards setting up their full back to kick the winning points from a drop goal.

This week Stewartry visit Clydebank with the next home game on January 31 against Waysiders Drumpellier.

Stewartry Squad. D Kerr, TJ McCarney, J Muir, J Fingland, C Mosey, J Farquhar, I McMorran, D Burton T Cannon (captain) I Fenwick, R Porteous, S McCuloch, C Fenwick, M Smith, M McCulloch, A McMorran, S Carson, A Kerr, R Wallace, L Henderson. All replacements used.