Ladies edge hockey contest

Share this article

Glasgow Unviersity 1, Dumfries Ladies 1st XI 2

The ladies 1st XI travelled to Glasgow on Saturday to compete in the West District 1 league fixture against Glasgow University.

The university side controlled the first 15 minutes but were unable to capitalise, thanks to Margaret Miller’s strong presence in defence.

Dumfries settled mid-way through the first half, with Kirsty-Anna McLaughlin and Hannah Mosley linking up well. However, Glasgow took the lead when a top D strike met the foot of a Dumfries defender and lifted the ball high into the goal, leaving nothing keeper McCubbin with no chance.

Dumfries started the second half much stronger and sustained pressure brought about two penalty corners. Captain Ellen Austin, bravely positioned on the post, came close on both occasions with one goal unfortunately disallowed.

The leveller was inevitable and came soon after. Naomi Cowan found space on the right and a perfect top D strike followed her sterling run. Cowan also secured a second as Austin’s cross was deflected high into the air, Cowan slotted the ball away at shoulder height.

Both teams created further chances and Dumfries were elated to hear the final whistle and secure a win in what is proving to be a tough league.

This weekend the team travel to East Kilbride to face a strong side chasing the league leaders.

Dumfries Men 5, EK Avondale 1

Dumfries men took centre stage at KGV last Saturday against EK Avondale IIs.

The men looked to continue their good form that saw them win 11-0 last week away to Kelburne Vs. A change to working commitments for captain Richard Hopkin saw him stand down, with Robbie Huxtable picking up the armband for the remainder of the season.

The game started well for Dumfries as they stroked the ball around and had the best chances early in the game.

The scoring was opened 10 minutes in when Clark picked the ball up at the top of the area and his pass found Callander who deflected the ball into the net.

Dumfries looked to have doubled their lead minutes later from a penalty corner when Bell’s shot was going in but struck debutant Kingstree’s foot on the line. Dumfries did double their lead midway through the first half when a shot was saved by the EK keeper but Clark was first to react and slammed the ball home.

EK won a number of penalty corners but the Dumfries defence stood firm. In the closing stages of the half EK won a long corner and a questionable decision by the EK umpire to stop time was to prove crucial. The EK forward broke into the area from the long corner and the ball was played off Bennett’s foot and the penalty corner was awarded just as the whistle blew for half-time. The corner was played out and the initial shot slipped under the body of Moscrop before being knocked into the goal by the EK forward.

A disappointing end to the first half but Dumfries held a narrow 2-1 lead.

The second half started with EK having most of the ball but Huxtable was solid in the holding midfield role. Dumfries extended their lead when Clark slotted home his 27th goal of the season. Bell scored his 20th when he flicked a neat effort in to make it 4-1.

EK again pressed and won penalty corners but Moscrop was in inspired form making a number of good saves.

The home side were looking for more and some superb runs down the right from Kingstree saw them create chances for Johnston, Clark and Mair. Dumfries did make it 5-1 from a penalty corner when Clark’s shot was deflected through the keeper’s legs by Callander.

Dumfries travel this weekend to bottom of the table Hillhead 5s who they defeated 10-0 earlier in the season.

Dumfries 2nd XI face a Sunday trip to face Giffnock.

New players are always welcome at training at KGV with P6-S4 (boys and girls) Tuesdays 6-7pm, men (S5 and over) Tuesdays 7-9pm and ladies (S5 and over) Thursdays 7-9pm.