It’s a points bonanza for Stewartry

It turned out to be a points bonanza for Stewartry in the last game in the BT West Division Two this season when they hosted first time visitors Isle of Arran.

The visitors arrived with only 12 players so the Blacks augmented their team.

There were only two minutes gone when the Blacks put the first points on the board after Smith touched down from a five metre scrum. Muir quickly added a second.

Porteous saw space in the midfield to get over for try number three. Mosey converted taking the score to 19-0.

In the 12th minute Fingland took the ball to touch down for the bonus point try. The conversion missed.

After the restart Mosey secured a long throw in and jinked through to the opposite side to go up the right wing and touch down. Again the conversion missed.

Boyd made a magical back handed pass behind to McCulloch allowing him to gallop past two defenders and score. Fingland added another soon afterwards.

Three minutes from the break the Blacks chipped a loose ball deep into the visitor’s 22. Good support by Muir saw him pick up to go over for a try under the sticks. Mosey slotted the conversion.

An easy catch from the restart put the ball to Muir again and once more he put the foot down racing up the right wing to bag another try under the posts which Mosey converted taking the half time score to 55 nil. Early on in the second period the ball went deep into the their 22 to be picked up by Arran defender Ross Cunningham. Fingland was quickly up on it. Cunningham almost jinked past but knocked on.

From the scrum the ball went to Henderson who smashed through the middle to go in under the sticks. Mosey converted.

Muir added a try out wide. Then Mosey took the ball and made a jinking run past defenders to get a converted try under the uprights. Broll then went in for a try. The conversion missed.

Muir added his fifth try. The conversion hit the post. Mosey repeated his first half effort with another try under the posts. Again his conversion hit the post.

The referee signalled time with the final score 94-5. Though a bit academic this was was an entertaining game for spectators with good running rugby and some excellent handling on display.