Heston edge cup thriller

Newton Stewart's Lewis Dunn blocks this clearance from Heston's Ally Queen
Newton Stewart's Lewis Dunn blocks this clearance from Heston's Ally Queen

Newton Stewart 0, Heston Rovers 2

It was felt pre-match that this contest in the first round of this season’s Challenge Cup would be close and, although Rovers ran out 2-0 winners, the contest was very even.

Newton were unlucky to lose the first goal from the penalty spot and the second came near the end as they pushed to level the match and were caught by a counter-attack.

Heston play good football and almost took the lead after only two minutes when a net-bound shot was cleared off the goalline by central defender Dean Thomson.

The visitors kept pressing and put the home defence under severe pressure but again they held firm, although with 14 minutes played a Stuart Douglas effort was well off target following a very good lead up that deserved a better outcome.

A minute later, the same player brought out a good save from Newton keeper Harry Fidler before Newton were hit with a sucker punch. Mid-fielder Lewis Dunn was adjudged to have handled the ball in the 18-yard box when it struck his arm and a penalty kick was awarded. Central defender Craig Adamson stepped up to make no mistake from the spot, sending Fidler the wrong way.

Five minutes later the home side received a further blow when they were reduced to 10 men when Alistair Fisher was sent off following a second yellow card offence.

Play then raged from end to end with the defences very much on top as both teams went all out to find a goal. The second half followed much the same pattern with defences dominating.

However, with 62 minutes played a Justin Nicoll free kick found the head of central defender Micky Wilson but Heston were saved by the crossbar with keeper Somerville well beaten. And although the rebound fell to Thomson, the keeper did well under pressure to collect the ball.

With Newton pushing for an equaliser the visitors broke away with five minutes left to seal the match through Ryan Adamson. The striker went one on one with keeper Fidler and although the stopper did well with Adamson’s first effort. the ball fell kindly for him to slot it home to secure the match and to put Newton out of this season’s most prestigious competition.