Great start to season for Wigtown

Wigtown and Bladnoch continued their great start to the season when they travelled to New Abbey last Saturday and beat Abbey Vale 3-0.

Lewis Richardson put the Trammondford Park side on the way to victory in the 33rd minute with Richard Jones and Callum Scott adding one apiece in the second half to give the visitors a fairly comfortable victory.

By all accounts Dumfries YMCA played well against Edusport Academy although eventually going down 4-0. The Dumfries side had only conceded two goals with ten minutes left to play but two late goals from the visitors saw Edu run out comfortable winners.

In the local derby at Palmerston Park Lochar won the bragging rights over neighbours Heston Rovers in a 4-2 victory. Keiran Krause and Lee Martin put Lochar two goals up before the home side fought back to level the match before the break.

In the second half Krause scored a double to complete his hat-trick and give his side the three points.

Creetown recorded a good 4-2 victory over newcomers Lochmaben while Threave Rovers went down 3-1 against Nithsdale Wanderers at Meadow Park.

Newton Stewart went behind to a Benjamin Wagner goal when he was left unmarked at the back post to slide the ball home before striker Robert Middleton levelled the match before the break. In the second half the Lockerbie side restored their lead with the goal of the match from a Connor Murray long range effort and ensured the points in the final minute when Derek Smith was brought down in the penalty box.

Nathan Muir’s effort from the spot was saved by keeper Euan Drysdale but Denver Milligan was first to pounce on the rebound to send the ball into the net to complete the scoring.

This victory saw Mids stay top of the table on goal difference. Bryan Gilfillan was the man of the match for Upper Annandale against St Cuthbert Wanderers when he scored a double to help his team to a point against the present Champions. Gilfillan scored the opener on the half hour mark with Philip Middlemass levelling the match before the interval. In the second half Scott Milligan put Saints ahead but Gilfillan popped up ten minutes from time to prod home the equaliser.