Great display of running rugby from Stewartry

Stewartry travelled on Saturday to the central belt to take on Waysiders Drumpellier in the BT West League Division 2.

The Blacks kicked off and were quick to get into Waysider’s 22 after the home side gave away a penalty for crossing. In the lineout 18 metres from the try line the ball went to John Kerr who broke away. He got stopped 5 metres short but a good offload let Carson in to touch down left of the posts. Mosey slotted the conversion.

Fifteen minutes into the first quarter the Blacks gave away a penalty for handling in the ruck. This gave the home team a lineout 5 metres out where Waysiders caught the ball and drove in to score. Their conversion missed.

The Blacks got another penalty and a lineout 18 metres from the home line. Stewartry took possession to drive forward but a home player went offside. Mosey added another 3 points.

15 minutes from the break Waysiders got into the Stewartry 22 but they knocked on 5 metres from the Blacks line. Stewartry cleared the ball away but the home full back replied putting it back inside the Blacks 22 where they were penalised in front of the posts for handling in the ruck. Waysiders took the 3 points.

Fenwick went on in place of Andrew Kerr. At a scrum on the Waysiders 10 metre line the ball went to Mosey who broke away, passed to Muir. and then Carson but he was stopped short. Home defenders got a turnover and cleared their lines.

On the half hour Stewartry took the ball in a lineout and Broll crashed through home defenders but he was stopped short of the try line. Fenwick took a great offload and made more ground allowing Mosey to go in for a try. The conversion missed.

Six minutes from the break Wasiders hooker got a yellow card for repeated offside. The Stewartry penalty gave them a 5 metre lineout. Porteous secured the ball and a 8 man drive took him over for a try and Mosey slotted the conversion.

McMorran replaced John Kerr. From the restart McCulloch punted the ball forward to give the Blacks a lineout. Stewartry took the ball which went to Mosey who got into Waysiders 22. He offloaded to Muir who went in behind home defenders and touched down behind the posts. Mosey’s conversion added another 2 points.

With two minutes left to the interval Broll secured the ball from the restart passing to Austin.He charged into space up the right wing deep into the home 22. Good support by Milligan allowed him to take the ball and in for a try. The conversion missed leaving the half time score Waysiders 8 Stewartry 34.

Five minutes into the second half Stewartry got aa lineout on the left wing. The ball sailed across to the right wing to Milligan who raced in for a second try which Mosey converted.

Carson came off to be replaced by McCarney in the tenth minute. The Blacks took possession in a scrum 10 metres out from the home goal line. The ball came out to Muir who broke away on the left side. McCarney in support took the ball forward but got stopped 2 metres short.

However Fingland was on hand to go over to touch down. Mosey added the conversion. Broll was replaced by Roberts.

Taylor and Picken went on in place of Fingland and Milligan with 23 minutes to go.

Going into the last quarter the home side got a penalty16 metres from the Stewartry line because the Blacks were offside. Taking a quick tap Waysiders sent the ball wide allowing them to breach the Blacks defence and score. The conversion went wide of the sticks.

With 10 minurtes remaining Cunningham replaced Muir. Stewartry made ground up to the home 22 but they were penalised for crossing. Waysiders cleared down field.

Andrew Kerr and Broll returned in place of Porteous and Roberts. Five minutes from the final whistle McMorran was unlucky to be yellow carded for continuing infringements by the Blacks.

Three minutes from time Waysiders got deep into the Stewartry 22 but they knocked on. At the 5 metre scrum Stewartry took the ball sending it to Mosey.

His clearance kick hit the post allowing the home side to mount an attack on the left side but Taylor stopped them. Waysiders were quick to recycle sending the ball right and then back left.

With a one man overlap they got in for a bonus point try. The conversion missed. Catching the restart ball Stewartry got inside the home 22 where Waysiders were penalised for crossing. In the 5 metre scrum the Stewartry forwards drove over the try line but the ball was held up.

Another 5 metre scrum saw the Waysiders pack take the ball allowing them to break away down the right side but the Stewartry defence remained tight.

Stewartry squad:- J Fingland. S Miligan, J Muir, R Austin, S Carson, C Mosey, J Farquhar, S Broll, D Burton, T Cannon, L Henderson, Andrew Kerr, John Kerr, S Mculloch, R Porteous (captain), I McMorran, T J McCarney,R Cunningham,K Roberts, M Taylor, C Fenwick, J Picken.