Good win for Stewartry at Lenzie



It was another away game for Stewartry last week in the BT West Division 2 when they visited Lenzie.

The home side started the game off and straight away gave away a penalty for offside. The Blacks secured the ball at the lineout to move into the Lenzie 22 but a pass went forward.

The hosts took the ball in the scrum putting it wide to get into the Stewartry 22 but got stopped. The Blacks got a turnover but a Lenzie high tackle gave Stewartry another penalty.

In the lineout on Lenzie’s 10 metre line they took the ball moving back to the Stewartry 22. Once more the Blacks defence stopped the Lenzie drive and they turned the ball over.

Carson took the ball charging up the right wing. Great support from Austin and Farquhar put Muir in for a try with Mosey adding the conversion.

With 15 minutes gone Stewartry gave away 3 penalties letting the hosts get within 5 metres of the Blacks line but Lenzie knocked on. The Blacks got the ball in the scrum to kick it down field.

At a ruck on the halfway line the home side got a turnover and attacked up the left wing. They kept up the pressure to get in for a try. The goal kick was wide.

Going into the second quarter Mosey made a break into Lenzie territory. Once more Austin was up in support getting into the home 22. He put the ball to Carson allowing him to touch down. The conversion missed.

The Lenzie restart took them back up to the Blacks 22. Milligan tackled but the home side kept possession at the ruck to go in for a try.. The goal kick was wide.

With 30 minutes on the clock McCarney went on as a blood replacement for Austin. The Blacks got a scrum on the Lenzie 22 where the hosts went offside giving Stewartry a lineout 8 metres from the home try line.

At a ruck after the lineout Stewartry secured the ball to go in beside the post but it was held up. In the 5 metre scrum the Blacks took the ball sendimg it to McCarney who scythed through Lenzie defenders to score on the left side. The conversion missed.

Austin went back on and Lenzie’s restart didn’t go 10 metres giving Stewartry a scrum on halfway. They took the ball allowing Mosey to kick down field but it went over the try line into touch.

The Lenzie 22 drop out got them back up to the Blacks 22. and keep up the pressure. The Stewartry defenders stopped Lenzie 5 metres out but the Blacks went offside giving away a penalty.

Lenzie took a quick tap and drove toward the Stewartry line but the Blacks got a turnover. The clearing kick didn’t find touch allowing the home side to attack again getting back into the Blacks 22 but they knocked on.

After the scrum Muir cleared the ball away and once more Lenzie knocked on. One minute from the interval the Blacks got the ball from the scrum for Carson to break down the wing but he was pushed into touch.

Into the second half Stewartry got a lineout on the home 22. McCulloch secured the ball to break through before passing to Carson but he was shoved into touch.

With 10 minutes gone Broll went on for Cannon and at a scrum on the Stewartry 10 metre line they took the heal to allow Mosey to send the ball down to the home 22 where Lenzie knocked it on.

Andrew Kerr picked up from the scrum to drive through before passing to Austin for him to get a try under the uprights. Mosey converted.

Into the last quarter Lenzie took a 22 drop out. Milligan took the catch and broke away up the left side into the home 22. He was tackled and passed to Austin who made more ground but was stopped. Quick thinking Milligan moved back in support to take the inside pass and go over to touch down. Mosey added the extras.

Fifteen minutes from time McMorran and Milligan were replaced by Cannon and McCarney. The home side made it back into the Stewartry 22 for a 5 metre lineout. They secured their throw in but the Blacks forwards pushed them back but went offside in the process.

The hosts took a quick tap to get within 2 metres of the Stewartry line but gave away a penalty for not releasing. The penalty took the Blacks up to their 22. In the lineout Lenzie went offside giving Stewartry a penalty to take them into the home end of the pitch.

Another penalty to the Blacks when home players held on in the ruck allowed Smith to charge forward. He passed to to John Kerr who made more ground before passing to McCulloch who got into the Lenzie 22 but he was stopped short of the try line.

The last play took Lenzie back into Stewartry territory but the ball went into touch leaving the final score at Lenzie 10 Stewartry 31.

This was a very evenly matched game of entertaining open play.

Stewartry squad:- J Fingland, S Carson, J Muir, R Austin, S Milligan, C Mosey, J Farquhar, I McMorran, D Burton, T Cannon, R Porteous (captain)

A Kerr, J Kerr, S McCulloch, M Smith, K Roberts, S Broll, M Taylor, J Picken, R Cunningham, T J McCarney.