Goals galore in South league

Share this article

The six South of Scotland League matches played on Saturday saw a total of 31 goals scored.

The highest score of the day was recorded by Dalbeattie Star, who beat Stewartry neighbours Fleet Star by 10-0. Scott Milligan and Lewis Sloan both hit hat-tricks, with Rab Harkness, Grant Parker, Stuart MacPherson and Craig Ferguson adding the other four goals to complete the rout of a very young Fleet Star side.

Threave Rovers got back to their winning ways with 5-0 demolition of Abbey Vale at New Abbey. The Castle Douglas side held a two-goal advantage at the half-time break, with Jamie Struthers and Scott Wilby finding the net in the third and 25th minutes, the second coming from the penalty spot after Sam Warren had been fouled in the box. Struthers struck again two minutes after the restart and completed his hat-trick just short of the hour mark. Sean Milligan saw them going nap with 16 minutes left.

Heston Rovers pushed St Cuthbert Wanderers all the way at Maryfield but went down 3-2 two against the Kirkcudbright side. Sean Kevan gave the home side the lead after only five minutes’ play, with Colin Carnochan squaring the match in the 20th minute and Roddy Cooksley putting the visitors ahead three minutes later. Just on the half-time whistle, Craig Rudd struck again for Saints to give them a comfortable advantage at the break. Heston then took the game to their visitors with Jonathon Boyd reducing the deficit 10 minutes after the restart but in an evenly matched second half there were no more goals and Saints claimed the three points.

A single goal scored by Wigtown and Bladnoch’s Stewart McClymont was enough to see off the challenge of Mid-Annandale at Galabank, while Nithsdale went nap against Creetown at Sanquhar.

At Hospital Park, Crichton went down 3-2 to Newton Stewart in a closely contested match. The visitors took an early lead when striker Micky Sutherland hit home within the first minute but Newton’s joy was short-lived with Mark Leighfield latching onto a misjudged back header to level the match three minutes later. Sutherland restored the Wigtownshire side’s advantage just after the half-hour mark but again Crichton came back this time through a Darren Johnstone header six minutes before the break. Twelve minutes after the restart the Dunn brothers combined to produce the winner with young Lewis providing the pass which led to Calum finding the net.

Results from Saturday, August 11

South of Scotland League

Abbey Vale 0 Threave Rovers 5

Crichton 2 Newton Stewart 3

Fleet Star 0 Dalbeattie Star 10

Heston Rovers 2 St Cuthbert Wanderers 3

Mid-Annandale 0 Wigtown and Bladnoch 1

Nithsdale Wanderers 5 Creetown 0